Vicboihere

Vicboihere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I am in a similar place as you, maybe just a few weeks ahead. I have my RedSea Reefer 170 being delivered next week and am currently researching the last 6 years or advancements in all the other necessary equipment and having problems making decisions between all of the options. Will follow along here and see what you come up with as well.
Do you have a thread going so that I can follow along, I also have considered the 170 and am curious how it would on out.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a thread going so that I can follow along, I also have considered the 170 and am curious how it would on out.
I had a RSR 170 before I upgraded to RSR 425 XL. Great system. Here’s my sump setup. Allowed me to overstock corals and fish.

D3756D47-C4E4-470D-A97C-36B5013D96B1.jpeg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side and the community. I just looked at the specs for the Red Sea and it seems to have everything. I was originally going to say an automatic water top off but it looks like it has that. I don't think I saw mention of a heater. If it doesn't have that (which would be weird) then that's the only thing I can think of to start with. I think you have to map out how much work you want to put into the tank (things like maintenance, water testing, water changes, etc). I'm sure you've seen some of the sophisticated systems members have. I think it's a good idea for new reefers do everything themselves (fully manual) other than water top offs. I think getting your hands wet gives you a feel and appreciation for the life you have taken upon yourself to look after. It also gets you in tune with your tank. I'm new as well and my 5g tank is as old school as you can get. I also do my own water top offs. Haha. I think down the road, after you've done it for awhile, then you can go all techie and automated. Obviously people with the monster tanks might have to go fully automated sooner rather than later. With a 20g, it's worth doing the stuff yourself. :) I look forward to seeing your build!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank - looks like a fair bit of bio, how did you manage, increase the flow and lighting? Did you use a controller?
Always recommend using a controller- I use Neptune Apex with Dos, makes managing much easier and alerts when something is wrong. The Tunze MAR with chaeto keeps phosphates & nitrates low. One MP10 and used Radion XR30.

Really got hooked and upgraded to 90g.

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a-return-to-the-hobby-build-34g-36g.863660/.

You can also find a link to my build thread using the badge under my profile on the left, under Build Thread Contributor. I recommend starting one yourself as you get started and you can search on here and find instructions on getting the badge linked up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

gph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on month 4 of starting my RS Max Nano, and here's what I've added:

- Ai Nero 3
- BRS Heater
- Duetto ATO (heard about the included ATO only lasting a few days, so I decided to go this route with a 5gal reservoir)
- Kraken lid
- Changed out the filter sock for a media cup

Currently waiting on delivery of a few things:

- CO2 scrubber
- Apex Neptune, Trident, DOS

I really love the tank, and feel like you don't need anything to it (besides a heater), to be honest. The reason I went with everything else is because I knew that I'd eventually want to move on to a bigger tank, and figured I'd need the upgraded equipment anyway.

Happy reefing!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The RS Nano is a great size for a first SW tank IMHO. Big enough to be relatively stable but small enough to be easy to manage. I would actually advise against starting with lots of gadgets and automation. The most important parts of reefing are patience and understanding. The automation adds a layer of distance from the tank and its inhabitants. That's fine but by managing most things manually at the beginning you will get more "in tune" with your tank. That said, on small tanks I consider a good ATO and reliable heater as absolute essentials. Depending on your stocking you will probably need supplemental flow.

R2RWelcome.jpg

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I and just wanted to point out how cool this form is for NEWB's like myself! I have been stalking/reading/absorbing information for close to a year now, and I just finally made an account to introduce myself and ask if I'm crazy....?!

Goal: Create a lasting healthy ecosystem - life come first, my desires for looking "cool" second.

Tank: Red Sea Nano Max - space is an issue, has to be in my home office

First question, should I consider another small space path or AIO tank?

Secondly, if the Red sea Nano Max should be my cup of team, what are my must haves addons to start off with?

I'm not intimated by learning, and will be patent throughout this.

Thanks for reading!
Welcome to Da Reef!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back