Hey reefers loving all your advice and help on my saltwater tank now would like some help on doing a freshwater tank for my turtle

OP
OP
Lilly Moore

Lilly Moore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I don’t know if I’d mind if it ate fish if it’s schooling ones like tetras were there to many and u can’t tell them apart but I was okay with an eel eating the hermits before I started the saltwater then I grew attached to the hermits and didn’t get the eel

OP
OP
Lilly Moore

Lilly Moore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the okay with it eating fish is to be determined even though probably better for him cause he does like live stuff

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I don’t know if I’d mind if it ate fish if it’s schooling ones like tetras were there to many and u can’t tell them apart but I was okay with an eel eating the hermits before I started the saltwater then I grew attached to the hermits and didn’t get the eel
You don't want to constantly replace fish or clean fish chunks out of your tank, even if you don't care about the fish. if the chunks aren't cleaned can get algae blooms.

if you have a strong cleanup crew, and a population of either breeding or you replace the fish, fish that the turtle can eat could be okay, you should still air on the smaller side though

Sidenote: Remember, even if your tap water doesn't have chlorine it can still have other metals, better safe than sorry

OP
OP
Lilly Moore

Lilly Moore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh I don’t know I’m not the type that gets sick at the fact but I also do love animals

OP
OP
Lilly Moore

Lilly Moore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Mollies
  • guppies
  • Live bearers and what else can I have

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you are fine with the sight of fish chunks, the main issue is taking the time to clean them out

It wouldn't be a good idea to get another turtle at this point, the its likely first would bully it

Ive found a few suggestions

"Very small, agile fish like guppies may be able to survive with turtles, though they may overpopulate the tank. Goldfish and minnows are often kept with turtles because of their low cost; if they are eaten, they can easily and affordably be replaced."

also, you need to make sure your cleanup crew and bio filter can handle it.

You will have to do some aquascaping for the fish

you will have to potentially buff up your filters, as fish are more sensitive then turtles

Monitor your tank water to more precise levels

your turtle is mature, and if it had its veggies it will be less interested

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lilly Moore

Lilly Moore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does we feed him regular pet store food too he has two types of pet store food

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any livebearer is a good bet. Mollies do have a size advantage, but are no less at risk than the others. Bonus for livebearers is fast breeding=good chance at lasting population.
Various minnows would be a good choice for a more geographically correct tankmate.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any livebearer is a good bet. Mollies do have a size advantage, but are no less at risk than the others. Bonus for livebearers is fast breeding=good chance at lasting population.
Various minnows would be a good choice for a more geographically correct tankmate.
Mollies being bigger could lead to the turtle having an easier time taking a chomp out

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back