hey some one can help me with Diy dose of malachite green and methylene blue together for treat bath for fish ? thanks for advanced

dani1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
hey some one can help me
with Diy dose of malachite green and methylene blue together for treat bath for fish ?
thanks for advanced

Maxout
Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
hey some one can help me
with Diy dose of malachite green and methylene blue together for treat bath for fish ?
thanks for advanced
Sorry for the late reply, just seeing it now. I am not a big fan of using either of those dyes as a dip. Dips are never 100% effective and malachite green is highly toxic to fish and is a carcinogen.

You probably can't do a true DIY formulation anyway, as powdered dyes are tough to get. Our malachite green powder is kept locked in a veterinary safe because it is so toxic. The dusty powder is tricky to work with - it gets lofted into the air when you weigh it, I've ruined so many shirts and pants by getting stained by it!

Malachite green can be used at 2 mg/gallon for one hour
Methylene blue can be dosed at 5 mg/l for one hour

What is it you want to accomplish? I might have a more effective treatment for you.

Jay

OP
dani1970

dani1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sorry for the late reply, just seeing it now. I am not a big fan of using either of those dyes as a dip. Dips are never 100% effective and malachite green is highly toxic to fish and is a carcinogen.

You probably can't do a true DIY formulation anyway, as powdered dyes are tough to get. Our malachite green powder is kept locked in a veterinary safe because it is so toxic. The dusty powder is tricky to work with - it gets lofted into the air when you weigh it, I've ruined so many shirts and pants by getting stained by it!

Malachite green can be used at 2 mg/gallon for one hour
Methylene blue can be dosed at 5 mg/l for one hour

What is it you want to accomplish? I might have a more effective treatment for you.

Jay
I need dose in grams because i have powders and i wanna kill very bad audinium and ichtiphirius and some one help me with doses in past mix thre components that work malachite mathylene and formalin together in one mix and i wote this in papar and i lost the paper with that dose that save alot of my fish :( so search again for the dose combnation

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I need dose in grams because i have powders and i wanna kill very bad audinium and ichtiphirius and some one help me with doses in past mix thre components that work malachite mathylene and formalin together in one mix and i wote this in papar and i lost the paper with that dose that save alot of my fish :( so search again for the dose combnation
What you are describing is called "formalite" it works best for FW ich. It is not very effective against marine ich (Cryptocaryon). Indeed, I've never been able to successfully use that in a marine tank.

Copper is a much better choice, you can buy it ready made, and dose it using a good test kit. It will have less bad reactions with the fish as well.

Here is my old formula for formalite:
224 ml formalin
75.7 ml water
2,25 gram malachite green
This is dosed at 3.8 ml to 7.6 ml per 100 gallons. Lower dose is used on sensitive fishes. If you don't know if the fish are sensitive, then try 5 ml per 100 gallons. Dose and then 48 hours later, change 50% of the water and redose.

Jay

OP
dani1970

dani1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
What you are describing is called "formalite" it works best for FW ich. It is not very effective against marine ich (Cryptocaryon). Indeed, I've never been able to successfully use that in a marine tank.

Copper is a much better choice, you can buy it ready made, and dose it using a good test kit. It will have less bad reactions with the fish as well.

224 ml formalin
75.7 ml water
This is dosed at 3.8 ml to 7.6 ml per 100 gallons. Lower dose is used on sensitive fishes. If you don't know if the fish are sensitive, then try 5 ml per 100 gallons. Dose and then 48 hours later, change 50% of the water and redose.

Jay
thanks

OP
dani1970

dani1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

224 ml formalin
75.7 ml water

Jay
Can I do bath with this formalite ?

Avast

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Can I do bath with this formalite ?
No, that dose is designed for a 24 hour static bath. A shorter bath time won’t work, and you can’t compensate for the shorter time by raising the dose because the malachite green is too toxic.
Jay

PICK the Most Tested & Least Tested Parameters of your Tank (Pick 2)

• Calcium (most)

Votes: 47 6.3%
  • Alkalinity (most)

Votes: 523 69.5%
  • Magnesium (most)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • Phosphate (most)

Votes: 71 9.4%
  • PH (most)

Votes: 72 9.6%
  • Nitrate (most)

Votes: 76 10.1%