Hey Triton, what's going on with my macro algae?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that one 20% water change a month is good for me and I currently run 17ml of the triton core 7 elements AND a calcium reactor.

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a 350 litre tank I am dosing 1ml of Iron a day, and 1.3ml of Iodine.
Iron shouldn't read at all, just get the dose where the corals and cheato look green and lush. If your getting a reading with Iron the chances are you are overdosing.

james.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm gonna try out that new ICP test offered by CoralVue for 20 dollars less. I think their lab is in the US somewhere in mid america. I live in Maryland and have to send Triton samples to CA -- $11.00 slow boat then wait for oversea shipment. I mailed in my sample to Triton on 31 Oct and will have spent over 60 dollars once I get the result. This new test may be much cheaper and just as good.... maybe.

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Triton rasies more problems than anything else. This is the ultimate chasing numbers. It involves you to constantly send in your water and buy supplements to get certain elements back up to levels.
Stick with two part dosing and small routine water changes.

Not really, once you have sent a few tests in and you get a handle on the usage of the various elements by your tank you can send in the tests much less often. A few times a year. Most people buy supplements for their tanks with a normal 2 part system and either dose at random without testing or for the more experienced aquarists, dose by watching the coral reactions and conditions.

There is no doubt Triton works, there are thousands of aquariums worldwide that prove it. Thats not saying your system doesn't but there are many ways to skin cat....

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron can help if the growth is light yellow, which is the color for lacking iron, but brown growth will probably not benefit from iron.

And as for pods, you'd be surprised how many pods come out of a scrubber.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... that's it for me ladies and gents. I fold. Handing in my Triton cards and cutting my losses now.
After 4 months of problems, I can't take looking at this anymore and going back to my old school tried and true methods, which always used a good size refugium anyway.
Without dosing things meant to grow algae.
I'll still send in the occasional ICP test, but other than that I'm done.
Total restart with new TBS rock and sand commences this weekend.
Will dose ESV Bionic for now and eventually go back to a CaRx. Can always use Triton's minor elements to replenish whatever else gets too low.

i-LpWT8xV.jpg

Hi there. Inspired by the critical thinking on this post. I'm designing a custom tank, and having come from a technical science background, bedazzled by all the 'methods' out there. These methods are often discussed as mutually exclusive in approach - which they may be from a chemical dosing standpoint, but it appears they often have similar toys with slight variations in emphasis/weighting/etc. It also seems like many of the companies have their own 'method' - which seems like a bit of a conflict of interest.

I might replace 'method' with 'emphasis' or 'dosing approach' in this regard. Semantics here?! I could be totally off and make no claims of competency in this fascinating hobby.

Questions for you...

-If you could start fresh, what route would you take?

-Is there a resource out there that nicely compares all the different "methods"? Is there some objective data backing these?

-My current thinking in terms of approach is roller filler --> decent refugium with good light --> skimmer as my foundation. I'll have a high flow rate, minimal course-grain sand, dose calcium and alkalinity, do water changes every few weeks, and use basic water testing to monitor these (and ICP tests now and then for the meta-view on the chemistry). If the refugium gives me troubles - I can either take it off the tank easily - or remove other components (e.g., roller filter - which for some reason is not part of the Triton method despite filtering large organic matter that clunks up chaeto and that is not consumed by the chaeto directly).

Cheers,
Ross

Back