Hey Triton, what's going on with my macro algae?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the above post I forgot to mention this was using the new Core7. I also tried the original Triton when it first was available, in a different tank, also didn't work for me. Core7 used for other methods seems to be doing alright, but I've also started out with a small dose, increasing as I'm keeping a close watch on alk. Climbed excessively using both the prior base elements, lost a lot of SPS.. Tank is full of high end SPS, stepping carefully.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This time it's very basic, a sock, skimmer which is run every now and then, dosing core7 for other methods. 24x30x24 drilled star fire cube with a zero edge sump. This sump isn't set up right to run the core7 made for algae use which I think was part of my problem. ULN system, one white Wyoming clown, she's happy with her coral bonsai tree. Dosing nitrates

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini Have you lower your flow through the sump compared with the flow when all work well?

Sincerely Lasse
No change in flow, Lasse.
The only change I can think of is the drop in nutrients.
This tank was started with Triton and started with TBS rock. Initially, nitrates were 50 and p04 was off the charts.
Then as things settled in, all of that started to drop like a rock.
I had lost a few fish and was basically fishless for a month and had just gotten more in there about the time the macros started dying off. So again, that kind of points to nutrient (or lack of) issues. I had tried to feed the corals during this time but probably wasnt enough.

SPS and LPS are looking good though.
No problems with color for the most part. :)

i-Gzsg7pt.jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini

I asked because you have rather heavy light at the refugium. Its known from freshwater aquariums that a planted aquarium can get a photosynthesis so strong that the plants has difficulties to get rid of produced oxygen and it will form O-radicals that destroy the plant. Normally you have a low flow in a planted aquarium but when such a photosynthesis taking place – you must have a rather good circulation. We know this when we talking about corals – they have the same problems – and we normally have a very good circulation when you have very much of light.

One of the photos (not yours) at post 25 Psymon state that the chaeto is white below the light but healthy in the corners. For me – this show the problem with low flow and high photosynthesis. The produced oxygen will be trapped in the micro layer around the algae – the oxygen level will rise inside the algae and O radicals will be formed and the cells will be destroyed

But probably you have another problem and it sound like lack of one or more nutrients.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

BWilliby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini Sorry to read you are having trouble with the Triton method! I always admired your last tank from afar and showing my wife some of those pics went a long way in me upgrading to a 265g display with a remote equipment room when we bought our new house...so thanks! :) When I saw that you set up your new system with Triton, I really started considering that myself and just made the switch. Then I started following the Triton forum and saw this thread, and thought...oh, maybe is is not so great, haha. But I got everything going this past weekend, so I am committed for now. Let me know if you have any advice...other than don't let nutrients bottom out to 0!

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the stump removing going? Any noticing difference in color and growth by dosing the nitrate? Has it had any effect on your phosphate reading?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the stump removing going? Any noticing difference in color and growth by dosing the nitrate? Has it had any effect on your phosphate reading?
No changes yet. SPS still look good.
Mayyyyyybe slower in-tank algae growth after blowing off the rocks, but hard to tell yet.
It's only been about a week.
Nitrates were about 4ppm this morning. Dosing 2ml/day but may need to up it to 3ml to keep it from dropping.

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get back to something more positive...

Dennis, any updates on your progress? I have experienced virtually the same thing in a new Triton startup. Display is lightly stocked, macros showed robust initial growth, but slacked off about the time the initial cycle was complete and nitrates dropped to zero.

I am waiting for my first test results from Triton, but have struggled to maintain dKH at 8 (I'm currently at a 1/4 of the initial recommended dose and it keeps creeping up still). There are a handful of SPS corals in the tank, all growing with the exception of one Milka Stylo, but apparently not enough to make an appreciable dent in alkalinity levels.

Curious to follow along with your progress and get others input.

Mike

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get back to something more positive...

Dennis, any updates on your progress? I have experienced virtually the same thing in a new Triton startup. Display is lightly stocked, macros showed robust initial growth, but slacked off about the time the initial cycle was complete and nitrates dropped to zero.

I am waiting for my first test results from Triton, but have struggled to maintain dKH at 8 (I'm currently at a 1/4 of the initial recommended dose and it keeps creeping up still). There are a handful of SPS corals in the tank, all growing with the exception of one Milka Stylo, but apparently not enough to make an appreciable dent in alkalinity levels.

Curious to follow along with your progress and get others input.

Mike
I've been watching my fuge. From what I can tell (i'm still not 100% sure) the red macros and halimeda seem to be at least holding on, if not growing a bit.
The batch of chaeto I had added at the same time seems to be gone. But two days ago I just added another ball so we'll see how it goes.
The brown snot is still in the display but the fluffy stuff seems to be gone. I did add a little Vibrant to try to help with the removal.

theMerchant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant. Maybe thats is whats killing the macro. I have the same issue with chaeto not growing, but dieing. Also fighting cyano after dosing vibrant.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant. Maybe thats is whats killing the macro. I have the same issue with chaeto not growing, but dieing. Also fighting cyano after dosing vibrant.
The vibrant was used last week. The macros starting dying back in November.

theMerchant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it wont help with growing it. Im reading thr vibrant thread, and people are dosing nitrates to fight cyano.

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini it's so weird that our tanks went thru the same issue. My chaeto was exploding with growth then just died off. Now I have the same looking stuff in my sump area mostly in the main tank it is brown dusting with air bubbles. Have you confirmed if it's donoflagellettes or something else?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the good news is the macros seem to be doing ok, even the new cheato ball seems to be at least hanging on.
The bad news is all the HA and other junk mixed in.
Since this tank has been nothing but one big experiment, I'm trying out Fluconazol to try to kill the nuisance algae.
Reports so far is that it doesn't kill the macros. We'll see.
Cutting back the fuge light from 8 hours to 3 hours, carbon is off line and cup is off the skimmer for the next few days.
Will update if I see any change.

i-2PD7Hcc.jpg

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis, I have lots of hair algae growing with my chaeto. Is that suppose to be a bad thing? It's not actually on the chaeto, just all over the walks in the sump.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis, I have lots of hair algae growing with my chaeto. Is that suppose to be a bad thing?
I've had it on the walls before but not mixed in with the macros. I don't want to choke the macros out (probably wouldn't happen but who knows) so I'd rather try to eliminate it if I can.
Some was in the display too.
When my cheato was kickin, it was just healthy cheato.
I'd like to get back to that if possible, and if some nuisance stuff grows on the walls/floor that's ok.

CapAquaATX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini
I'm having the exact same issue as you. Posted a pic of the incredible caulerpa bed (also had red gracilaria and chaeto mixed in) then it started to decline about 2 months ago. Algae looked bad enough that I removed a solid trash bag's worth.

I've now got the exact same brown stringy algae growing in the display and the fuge continues to look poor. I sucked out an incredible amount of algae and scrubbed it from the display and it appears to be holding off. The fuge continues to look nasty but I finally have growth in the feather caulerpa.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini
I'm having the exact same issue as you. Posted a pic of the incredible caulerpa bed (also had red gracilaria and chaeto mixed in) then it started to decline about 2 months ago. Algae looked bad enough that I removed a solid trash bag's worth.

I've now got the exact same brown stringy algae growing in the display and the fuge continues to look poor. I sucked out an incredible amount of algae and scrubbed it from the display and it appears to be holding off. The fuge continues to look nasty but I finally have growth in the feather caulerpa.
How's your nutrients?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back