Hey Triton, what's going on with my macro algae?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why didn't you dose Spectracide or Phytofeast to get your NO3 / PO4 up before the macros died?

I have been since late January (see post #64). I've even upped the NO3 and maintain a steady 4ppm now.

I have been dosing Molybdenum and Iodine as instructed in Triton's icp tests - someone had suggested their importance early on in this thread. The only elements which have been consistently low (but still within Triton's range) have been in what they refer to as the Fe Group (Chromium, Cobalt and Iron), hence the reason I keep pondering iron additions.

Already picked up some ferrous gluconate, just need to decide if I am going to use it now or not.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so weird. So your NO3 and PO4 were ok. What was ur PO4 by the way?

I'd be interested to hear what happens after you dose the iron supplement.

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so weird. So your NO3 and PO4 were ok. What was ur PO4 by the way?

I'd be interested to hear what happens after you dose the iron supplement.

0.011 mg/L. I've been alternating AL99 (Triton's aluminum based product) and Rowaphos GFO as recommended. My last icp test, PO4 was a little lower than I would have preferred. I'm 2 weeks out from my next GFO/Carbon change out and plan to cut the GFO media in half to let PO4 levels creep back up a bit.

Still on the fence re: iron supplements, but will likely wait at this point until the water changes to reduce tin levels are complete.

Toky916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda old but good topic if tank is not mature I would not recommend full core7
It will feed the display had this issue once my sps grow out more I’ll try the full but I’ll be doing the other method hopefully will be better.

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Cheato melt twice, both times when I was not running GFo and phosphates crept up to 0.1 or so. When I pull them back down fellow 0.5, cheato grows and looks healthy again. This is obviously counter intuitive, maybe a false correlation, but it’s what I observed.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with triton so far has been “holy algae!” in the display. Chaeto in refugium doesn’t do much. Will probably give it another month or two before switching back to ATI

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've struggled to get my tank thriving for almost a year now with Triton. I first started off with "other methods", then I modded my sump to accommodate a larger fuge to run the full method and have struggled to keep things going. By the numbers, my tank should be growing sticks like crazy, but I have the opposite problem, nothing but losses.
I've contemplated going back to other methods (things seemed to have looked better?), but I've never had this many issues before. I almost want someone to talk me out of it, only because I have so much time and money invested in my tank based on the Triton method, but there is too much guessing at the problems.
My chaeto is looking like it's ready to start fading and I've lost too many frags and colonies (that started as frags) using this method, that I'm ready to throw in the towel. I really wanted it to work, but nothing is really growing, except a couple frags that seem unaffected.
As of today, my parameters are currently:
SG 1.026
Temp 78
Alk 7.5dKH
Ca 465
Mg 1500
No3 16ppm
Po4 .06

Custom 90g 36x36x16
Two Kessil ap700's
Two 24w T5's blue+
12hr lighting cycle, 3hr ramp up, 6hr peak, 3hr ramp down
Fuge - Kessil H380 10hr reverse schedule
Dosing 9mL a day of Core7 every other hour, 15m apart

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3e062b4c9107734de5b53146b8e2f26c.jpg

Here's my 22g on 2 part and water changes.
I really miss this tank.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've struggled to get my tank thriving for almost a year now with Triton. I first started off with "other methods", then I modded my sump to accommodate a larger fuge to run the full method and have struggled to keep things going. By the numbers, my tank should be growing sticks like crazy, but I have the opposite problem, nothing but losses.
I've contemplated going back to other methods (things seemed to have looked better?), but I've never had this many issues before. I almost want someone to talk me out of it, only because I have so much time and money invested in my tank based on the Triton method, but there is too much guessing at the problems.
My chaeto is looking like it's ready to start fading and I've lost too many frags and colonies (that started as frags) using this method, that I'm ready to throw in the towel. I really wanted it to work, but nothing is really growing, except a couple frags that seem unaffected.
As of today, my parameters are currently:
SG 1.026
Temp 78
Alk 7.5dKH
Ca 465
Mg 1500
No3 16ppm
Po4 .06

Custom 90g 36x36x16
Two Kessil ap700's
Two 24w T5's blue+
12hr lighting cycle, 3hr ramp up, 6hr peak, 3hr ramp down
Fuge - Kessil H380 10hr reverse schedule
Dosing 9mL a day of Core7 every other hour, 15m apart
Have u sent in an actual triton test?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm about to send in another, my last test came back with only a few minor things, low iodine and potassium, but everything else was in range. I'm not sure what would cause tip burn and STN at this stage? The only thing that has changed is a slow increase of NO3 & PO4. My pH is steady @ 8.2 - 8.3.

Toky916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to other and everything is doing better still have some algae issue but going away coral are doing amazing I did add a bottle of full triton to 3 bottles of other mixed together in my big dosing container.

I use the apex dos. Also I have not water changed this whole time. My first sample came back low on a few things but seems like they are fixed just sent out another sample.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back