Hey what are some methods of baby proofing a reef tank?

Anarcha0s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon and also have a 18 month old little girl that loves climbing furniture. What can i do to make sure the tank wont fall if she’s trying to climb it? Shes not allowed near it without us but of course i need to take every precaution. Thanks!

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's against the wall, use an anti-tip kit designed for furniture. There are many different versions.

Hangman Anti-Tip Kit - 400 Pound Falling Furniture Prevention Device

81X8L-NcoHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my boys were young ..... make sure tank cannot tip over by using something like the anti tip kit above (or just screw the stand to a wall joist. Also make sure she cannot look directly into the lights.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a tank can tip over from anything short of an earthquake then there is something wrong with the stand or the surface the stand is on. I am not sure that the anti tipping devices shown would hold back over 600lbs. In a 75 gallon tank the water alone would put you over that weight. Anything is better than nothing though.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of have to agree with the point made about stability. 600 - 1,000 pounds isn’t going to go anywhere if it’s on a properly sound aquarium stand.

When my kids were little, the only thing I worried about was the wires behind the tank. I don’t have any pictures, but a neatly cut piece of lauan sanded and stained/painted to match the furniture worked great for me. I just attached it with a few pieces of industrial strength Velcro to the side of my tank stand and I never had any issues.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without pictures of your system I have no idea how to advice you. I have had to help my Brother People proof Tanks in Bars and Night Clubs. If you think kids are hard, try to think of 50 different ways of preventing dozens of determined 20-26 year olds from taking a Pee in a Tank or giving the fish a sip of their beer.

Last edited:

anth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a tank can tip over from anything short of an earthquake then there is something wrong with the stand or the surface the stand is on. I am not sure that the anti tipping devices shown would hold back over 600lbs. In a 75 gallon tank the water alone would put you over that weight. Anything is better than nothing though.
If the anti tip things are fitted so there is no slack then there wont be any movement to cause water shift

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a voltage zapping wire around the perimeter of your tank. If too expensive for your taste, just duct tape your kid to a tree.

Hey, if FordTech can Joke so can I.

MentalNote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found baby play yards to be helpful.

When they are little, put them in the "octagon".
When they get bigger, fence off areas like tanks or terrariums so they can't get to them.

Here is a link to a metal version, I found it much more sturdy and taller then the plastic ones.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sump, definitely want to lock the cabinets to keep her out of there. Lots of stories about kids dumping whole jars of food, dosing supplements etc...so keep that stuff locked away, up high. I used cat collars on all my kitchen and bathroom cabinets. The collars have bells so I could hear when she was trying to get in them. Best thing is just teach her how to act with it. Explain that mom or dad have to be there when she wants to see the tank, feed the fish etc...She will catch on...my daughter is 3 and is a little more trusty worthy now. She’s all about moving her step stool all over the house to get where she needs to be. My tank is in the basement behind a locked door, 100% because of her. They’re sneaky! The octagon pin is a good idea too. I used that in front of my fireplace bricks for a long time

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same situation as you. I use kitchen cabinet stoppers, the kind that goes inside and prevents full opening.

Everything else (tests, food, etc.) is stored in another room, far from access. I also build wood side panels to prevent any access to the back of the tank. On the right side, you can see how I hold the black panel that goes over.

20191210_154258.jpg 20191210_154302.jpg 20191205_090541.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back