OP
OP
karimi_e

karimi_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! How long has it been since the fish passed that had ich? There's a fallow period and I think 8 weeks might not be long enough unless its already been quite a while without a fish already. Heres some stickies if you already haven't seen them. Should help!

It’s been two weeks so far. I’ll definitely have to check those out. Thank you!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!
goofy movie hello GIF

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I’ve been all over the forum for awhile now trying to get as much information as I can. I currently have a mostly empty 2 month old 30g (left clean up crew in tank), and a 20g quarantine tank that I recently set up after losing my first fish to ich. I plan to leave my 30g fishless for about 8 weeks, but I would like to quarantine some new fish in the meantime. I know there are a bunch of threads already, but any tips on the quarantine process would be highly appreciated
Hello and welcome to the channel.

tjonw6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, I'm from Ovilla TX! There are a ton of good threads with recommendations and different methods. Some QT and alot don't! Ive tried a hand full of suggestions and found a qt process that I like.

The one I personally prefer is using a qt tank for a 1-2 week observation. Nothing fancy, about a $100 into a spare 15g with some spare rock for hiding space. For me its a great time to acclimate the fish to their new food and for me to get used to their eating habits. I typically won't medicate unless I see something very unusual. I have had mixed success with medicating fish and typically use that as a last resort, but hey that's just me and the way I like to do things.

Are you going fallow for a full 76 days?

Best of luck with everything!

OP
OP
karimi_e

karimi_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, I'm from Ovilla TX! There are a ton of good threads with recommendations and different methods. Some QT and alot don't! Ive tried a hand full of suggestions and found a qt process that I like.

The one I personally prefer is using a qt tank for a 1-2 week observation. Nothing fancy, about a $100 into a spare 15g with some spare rock for hiding space. For me its a great time to acclimate the fish to their new food and for me to get used to their eating habits. I typically won't medicate unless I see something very unusual. I have had mixed success with medicating fish and typically use that as a last resort, but hey that's just me and the way I like to do things.

Are you going fallow for a full 76 days?

Best of luck with everything!
oh hi! Ovilla is super close, are there any lfs that you would recommend? I’m in Midlothian, and all we have is a Petco. Lol.
What kind of medications have you tried? I’ve read a lot of people medicate from the beginning of quarantine just to be safe, but I’m kind of worried about stressing the fish out too much by doing that. I might just try something similar to your method to begin with.
yeah, I’ll probably end up going the full 76 days.

tjonw6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh hi! Ovilla is super close, are there any lfs that you would recommend? I’m in Midlothian, and all we have is a Petco. Lol.
What kind of medications have you tried? I’ve read a lot of people medicate from the beginning of quarantine just to be safe, but I’m kind of worried about stressing the fish out too much by doing that. I might just try something similar to your method to begin with.
yeah, I’ll probably end up going the full 76 days.

Yep, Small world! School of fish is top notch for fish in desoto, Tyler tanks in ft worth, Smayda Aquatics is pretty good too! Hop on facebook and there are some really awesome groups with local reefer aquaculturing out of their garages/sheds with amazing coral selections and fair prices! Shoot me a PM and I can link them for ya.

I tried kick ich/rally awhile ago and then tried hyposalinity but personally had better success with cupramine after a forum member suggested it. Ive gone fallow for 80 days and thats when I started a qt tank just like you are. For me I could see a decline in fish activity and appearance when medicating so its not something I really go to nowadays. Like you said, the stress was pretty obvious. I lost a couple fish dosing copper from online orders that didn't come in healthy so now I just observe and feed well which seems to work better for me than medicating. I also try to get fish from high quality sources and stay away from places that don't look well maintained. Im okay with paying $20 bucks more for a healthy fish!

100 ways to do it, but after a ton of failures I found a way that works for me and my pets! Alot of people have different variations of the qt process so I'm sure you'll see a ton of reccomendations!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back