HEY YOU! What can R2R do to make visiting the site better? CASH for ideas!

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the above posted. On a side note the lfs that are listed might have an option to partake in up keeping or moderating the forum. But I think that by trying to make a better bridge between LFS and consumers is possibly a step in the right direction. Because I know for me as an lfs we dont have nearly the funds needed to do some sort of advertisement for locals, so having an organized online area to "meet" persay would help. Im liking all the ideas though!!

The store moderating the forum kind of makes the point moot, because they can make it look like they're better than they are. I don't have a problem with providing them a space to put their own announcements, however.

Tradewinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps enhance the segregation between vendors and non-vendors. If I'm looking to buy, I can go in search of that, instead of having to navigate around the vendor posts in the Quick Links/Todays Posts listing. I like the way the Home page segregates recently updated vendor threads for user threads.

I like this idea.

Worldwide reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store moderating the forum kind of makes the point moot, because they can make it look like they're better than they are. I don't have a problem with providing them a space to put their own announcements, however.

very true, I was too naive to think of that lol, what I meant more than anything was because there's possibly be so many I didn't want it to become a burden on current mods. But otherwise I could care less who's managing it as long as it runs~

jokervueboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so is my idea.... a TIMELINE for tanks!
It can be part of the user's account. Most of the time when I am reading a fellow member's tank, i want to get to specific places, such as sump build. A timeline will keep everything about the tank build much more organized and less time scrolling through the thread to find specific sections examples.....
ideas.jpg

and each Point of the timeline will link to the specific event. As you add things to it, you can add to the timeline.

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video section dedicated to anything saltwater, examples: Coral care, coral ID, How to setup equipment, maintaining equipment, etc..

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A vendor request forum...like a general vendor mailbox. This would be a forum where I as a customer can post what I'm looking for and vendors can contact me with what they have to meet my need. Obviously not all of the vendors would use it, but it could be a great communication tool for letting vendors know what people are looking for and also a tool for hobbyists to find things rather than having to peruse each vendor's forum and/or site hoping to find what he's looking for.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps enhance the segregation between vendors and non-vendors. If I'm looking to buy, I can go in search of that, instead of having to navigate around the vendor posts in the Quick Links/Todays Posts listing. I like the way the Home page segregates recently updated vendor threads from user threads.
Maybe even color code the posts/threads, commercial vendor as one color, and hobbyists another color. (Then an option to hide a color maybe. :bigsmile: ) As a "forum community of saltwater aquarium hobbyists" the enhanced segregation might be good.

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted this awhile back. Have noticed in the past year how much this could help. After our post and signature we can have a spoiler yo press to open the users " tank diary. Like after we post it says out tank size, lights, stock, and most recent parameters. You can modify it whenever you want and it helps clear up issues like "why is this coral not opening?" And all of the obvious questions can be answered as soon as the user submits their post. If someone asks for advice on some coral the first thing you ask is tank size, lighting, and parameters, with this feature you can answer questions easier and earlier.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so is my idea.... a TIMELINE for tanks!
It can be part of the user's account. Most of the time when I am reading a fellow member's tank, i want to get to specific places, such as sump build. A timeline will keep everything about the tank build much more organized and less time scrolling through the thread to find specific sections examples.....
ideas.jpg

and each Point of the timeline will link to the specific event. As you add things to it, you can add to the timeline.

Wow! I really like this idea though have no idea if possible or how one would go about creating it. Way way over my head tech-wise.

Cheers, Todd

Adam10045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the updates on Facebook are great! I'd like to see "for sale items" hit Facebook so I'll know when something's been posted.

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be awesome if you have a notification section for threads you started. somewhat like the PM notification Instead of having to look at emails or look through post sections you can just see a alert bubble at the top with new thread updates.

Reef.ductionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be a step up if you had live youtube video podcast interviews with those 'wellknown' names in the hobby. I can imagine it now ...nice intro with your logo etc..
And if you had one new one every two months or so the idea would carry you forward for quite some time. Im sure you would be great at it!

-Les

Last edited:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see some sort of reefer rating system to indicate the level of knowledge each user has. The staff can vote to approve or disagree with the information given by each user to come up with a rating depending on the information we offer. If someone gives good information the staff can have a +1 button, and bad information -1. This will let new users know who they can trust when they ask if a black tip shark is a good idea for their 55 gallon.....

This could also be broken down into category so we can see who knows what.

Last edited:

treemanone2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after reading all 5 pages, here's my thought. R2R has had many contests and winners to go along. What about producing a calendar of the previous years winners showcasing the item(s) won and tank being used in ? A photo with brief description of tank, item, sponsor that donated said item, etc. If it was a growout (frag, fish, product, etc) that came from a particular sponsor and so on. With all of the contests I've seen so far, I think it would be fairly easy to fill twelve pages if not more. Possibly being able to do two photos, half page of side by side/over-under. I think there's enough room on the leftover area of the page to place sponsors, "Did you know" facts, natural reef pics, etc. A free calendar to the winner and sponsor, and others available for purchase on the "R2R Gear" page. (I'm still looking for that one.) Maybe getting sponsors to "buy in" as an option with their membership ? Proceeds from sales would eventually help the forum by offsetting costs (associated with computer things I have no clue about, lol) that are day to day for you to host such an awesome place to visit.

Just a brainstorm to throw out there. Hopefully this might take off as I would love to give it back to a sponsor or R2R for a membership fee ??? :biggrin1:

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick like or thumbs up on replies/posts would be nice.

It would help keep threads clean, instead of having to scroll through tons of "nice tank" or "nice photo" posts.

danangelo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a next page button that's bigger and seperate from the the number's its irritating accidentally pushing the wrong number when you're trying to go to the next page ..a lot of us use our phones or you can even have a mobile friendly site that would be cool also

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back