HG - Aiptasia - X

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have recently seen 2 aiptasia anems sprout on two new frag plugs. I am definitely going to look into dipping my corals in the future. However, I have read numerous ways people deal with their aiptasia, but havent seen anything really on Aiptasia-x medication/supplement. I was wondering if anyone has used it and how they feel about it before I purchase it. Thank you!

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have recently seen 2 aiptasia anems sprout on two new frag plugs. I am definitely going to look into dipping my corals in the future. However, I have read numerous ways people deal with their aiptasia, but havent seen anything really on Aiptasia-x medication/supplement. I was wondering if anyone has used it and how they feel about it before I purchase it. Thank you!
Haven't had any in many years, however I and many others used to get a hypodermic syringe and inject the with Liquid calcium. Would melt instantly. Then vacuum out the mess. If u can do this in a separate tank or bucket, that's ideal. As aptasia fragments can generate new anemones. Never tried aptasia x. Also berghia nudibranches eat them. But starve if they clear out all the nems.

OP
OP
NoMu Fish

NoMu Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Naso110 Great feedback! Thank you! So, you used a syringe to inject it with liquid calcium (would my calcium doser work?) and then used just a gravel vac/syphon to suck out the fragments and water of that area?

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Naso110 Great feedback! Thank you! So, you used a syringe to inject it with liquid calcium (would my calcium doser work?) and then used just a gravel vac/syphon to suck out the fragments and water of that area?
Yeah calcium reactor would work. Just draw some concentrate from the reactor ( turned off of course) and inject them in the middle of the oral disc if possible. Also turn off your circulation pumps while you vacuum out the pieces. They can easily spread out and will certainly cause more aptasia. You really want to work quick if you're doing it in the display tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You will need to shut down water flow and as much of a pain as it is, mix kalkwasser powder with tank water and lemon juice into a toothpaste like consistency and using a syringe- inject into the CENTER CORE of each one. This will take repetition but you will suddenly see them diminish. I assume theyre also in the plumbing and by return pump area.
Other options are :
For each method you should turn your flow OFF for 5 mins. before and during the treatment and wait 15 mins. before turning it back ON after the the treatment, including the return pump.

• Lemon Juice - Instead of reaching for your bottle of lemon juice to enhance your glass of water or cup of tea, maybe try it as an Aiptasia exterminator. While wearing gloves, fill a syringe with pure lemon juice and inject it directly into the Aiptasia. Make sure to move slowly to prevent scarring the anemone into its hole.
  • Hydrogen Peroxide - Just like with the lemon juice, fill a syringe and carefully inject a small amount of the solution directly into the disk of the Aiptasia. Be extra careful to not release any hydrogen peroxide into the tank. Not the safest way.
  • Kalkwasser - Also known as Calcium Hydroxide, kalkwasser is capable of killing Aiptasia. However, I don’t recommend this extermination tactic. In order to work, you must precisely fill the Aiptasia with a concentrated dose. If you try killing too many in this way, you can inadvertently raise your tank pH level, which is no good.
  • Other Methods - Some of the other methods commonly used to eradicate Aiptasia include boiling water, vinegar, electricity and even super glue. If you’re considering these methods, there’s a better way that’s less dangerous to you, your tank and your bank account.

Naso110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to shut down water flow and as much of a pain as it is, mix kalkwasser powder with tank water and lemon juice into a toothpaste like consistency and using a syringe- inject into the CENTER CORE of each one. This will take repetition but you will suddenly see them diminish. I assume theyre also in the plumbing and by return pump area.
Other options are :
For each method you should turn your flow OFF for 5 mins. before and during the treatment and wait 15 mins. before turning it back ON after the the treatment, including the return pump.

• Lemon Juice - Instead of reaching for your bottle of lemon juice to enhance your glass of water or cup of tea, maybe try it as an Aiptasia exterminator. While wearing gloves, fill a syringe with pure lemon juice and inject it directly into the Aiptasia. Make sure to move slowly to prevent scarring the anemone into its hole.
  • Hydrogen Peroxide - Just like with the lemon juice, fill a syringe and carefully inject a small amount of the solution directly into the disk of the Aiptasia. Be extra careful to not release any hydrogen peroxide into the tank. Not the safest way.
  • Kalkwasser - Also known as Calcium Hydroxide, kalkwasser is capable of killing Aiptasia. However, I don’t recommend this extermination tactic. In order to work, you must precisely fill the Aiptasia with a concentrated dose. If you try killing too many in this way, you can inadvertently raise your tank pH level, which is no good.
  • Other Methods - Some of the other methods commonly used to eradicate Aiptasia include boiling water, vinegar, electricity and even super glue. If you’re considering these methods, there’s a better way that’s less dangerous to you, your tank and your bank account.
All very good suggestions. However I think he said he noticed only 2 aptasia, not an outbreak. But those are great ways to get rid of large outbreaks where raising calcium vlevels would be an issue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
All very good suggestions. However I think he said he noticed only 2 aptasia, not an outbreak. But those are great ways to get rid of large outbreaks where raising calcium vlevels would be an issue.
Kalk method or Lemon juice would apply to a couple or few. No sense buying aptasia X for a couple of aptasia when he may already have these ingredients at home
many will suggest berghia or peppermint shrimp and not worth it for such a small issue.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back