Hi all! New to saltwater from hightech planted tanks!

Sean W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I'm Sean! I just recently setup my first saltwater tank after keeping freshwater tanks for the last 20 or so years since I was a kid, and getting into more challenging high tech planted tanks as I've advanced in the hobby. With the risk of sounding arrogant, I feel as tho I have mastered freshwater tanks as I quickly get bored with a new setup and often take it down to try something different after 3-6 months of a tank being running.

Here are a few of my previous freshwater tanks I have setup over the years

kC9HoHM.jpg

AyFyuQN.jpg

VQeCR4P.jpg

oENGhXd.jpg

ILJQCmj.jpg

After researching how to make the transition to saltwater for the last 3 months or so, I finally completed setting up my first saltwater tank. I switched my 55 gallon tank to saltwater, I would have obviously preferred a tank that is deeper, but due to space limitations, I couldn't have a tank be more than 12" deep, so 55 it was.

Here is a video of my newly setup 55 gallon. This was a couple days after I set it up, let things clear up, but no fish yet.

I will be doing FOWLR for the first couple months as I get into a routine of keeping a saltwater tank, then I will slowly add soft corals. It seems like soft coral tanks has this stigma in the hobby as "inferior" tanks, but I actually like their less demanding needs and I really like corals the sway back and forth in the flow. I like movement and I'm really looking forward to getting corals in this tank!

Happy to be here, thanks everyone!

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow those are beautiful , I did fresh-water over a decade ago and also tried the planted tank, but my were no were near those, whats weird is I am far more successful with my reef tanks, been over a decade and I love em, hope the reef bug gets you going , welcome and don't be shy with questions
Happy reefing

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all starts with freshwater... then we get into reefing and we take out a second mortgage:). Congrats on the tanks they look amazing! Looking forward to seeing that reef tank filled out! Welcome to R2R!
giphy.gif

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Those planted tanks are awesome!

I can’t wait to see what you create in saltwater. There are just so many options with the fish, inverts, macro algae and corals.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back