Hi all! New to saltwater from hightech planted tanks!

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
l0MYDEPLWRWbJoRuU.gif

Welcome to R2R!!!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I'm Sean! I just recently setup my first saltwater tank after keeping freshwater tanks for the last 20 or so years since I was a kid, and getting into more challenging high tech planted tanks as I've advanced in the hobby. With the risk of sounding arrogant, I feel as tho I have mastered freshwater tanks as I quickly get bored with a new setup and often take it down to try something different after 3-6 months of a tank being running.

Here are a few of my previous freshwater tanks I have setup over the years

kC9HoHM.jpg

AyFyuQN.jpg

VQeCR4P.jpg

oENGhXd.jpg

ILJQCmj.jpg

After researching how to make the transition to saltwater for the last 3 months or so, I finally completed setting up my first saltwater tank. I switched my 55 gallon tank to saltwater, I would have obviously preferred a tank that is deeper, but due to space limitations, I couldn't have a tank be more than 12" deep, so 55 it was.

Here is a video of my newly setup 55 gallon. This was a couple days after I set it up, let things clear up, but no fish yet.

I will be doing FOWLR for the first couple months as I get into a routine of keeping a saltwater tank, then I will slowly add soft corals. It seems like soft coral tanks has this stigma in the hobby as "inferior" tanks, but I actually like their less demanding needs and I really like corals the sway back and forth in the flow. I like movement and I'm really looking forward to getting corals in this tank!

Happy to be here, thanks everyone!

Welcome Sean! Those are some amazing tanks!

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the community Sean! I'm curious to see how you go about stocking...
Also, have you considered possibly trying a SW planted tank? With macroalgaes and soft corals, I've seen them (and have one) and they can look really nice. Just my 2 cents.
Good luck, Gad bless!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back