Hi all, super newbie from Vancouver, Canada here!

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
IThjAlJnD9WNO.gif

Post lots of pics of your build, we like those

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r! I’m always happy to see other ladies around these parts. Feel free to ask any questions, were more than happy to help. Don’t forget to start a build thread for your new tank so we can follow along with your process. Good luck out there!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there Orly!

@Kyl is from the west cost as well and he might be able to point you in the right direction for local clubs. @Cstar_BC might be able to help as well although shes not from Vancouver exactly. I'm out of Calgary so it's always nice to see another Canadian join in on the fun here.

Sounds like you are off to a great start taking your time and getting things together slowly. Lots of research will be your friend in this hobby and luckly R2R is a one stop shop for any questions you may have. So welcome to R2R!!!! We hope you enjoy your time here. As mentioned above, even if your tank isn't running yet feel free to start a build thread in the members tank forum so we can all look at your progress as you go. Also so you can look back at the beginning of your tank and see all the ups and downs, what has worked and what hasn't. :)

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Orly! I started with the same tank! And now have a 30g and a 100g;). There isn’t many places in the BC area outside of private reefers. Not sure what the rules are for bring coral across the border but there is a reefer named Jon Waschow in Ferndale WA who owns a shop called Neon Reef Coral check out his FB page he’s gets good stuff and reasonable prices. There is also a Pacific Northwest Reef Keeping group I believe we have a few folks from BC I’m in our group. Looking forward to seeing where you go in you reefing adventure! PM and if you have any questions happy to help!
1590854128888.jpeg

MeMyFishandI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

This’ll be my first post (especially considering I just made this account a few minutes ago), but stoked to be here! I’m a long time lurker and reef-tank-admirer of at least three years so it feels great to finally get proactive with it all.

As a bit of an introduction, my names Orly, and as mentioned I’m in western Canada! Smack dab in the city of Vancouver to be exact. I’ve been in proximity to the freshwater hobby my whole life by way of my dad, but his presumptions about how hard/expensive the saltwater end of things was stopped him from ever dipping his toes in. The classic tale, go figure.

Beyond that i’ve kept my own freshwater tanks for close to two years now, having kept everything from shrimp into amphibians and semi-aquatics, and a few months ago I decided it was finally time to take the plunge into salt, so to speak.

Right now i’ve got a Fluval 13.5 Evo on hand, but no stand yet so my next task is to build the stand to my liking and go from there. The plan is to mod the lighting as well as set up ATO and dosing pumps. That said the budget doesn’t allow for those purchases yet (with the viral recession and all that...) so i’ve decided to hold off putting the build together until i’ve got all my ducks in a row. But it feels nice to take it slow! Lying it wait and planning out every aspect certainly makes me feel more in control and like less will go wrong, hopefully (lol).

Since i’m so new, if anyone knew of local Vancouver hobbiest groups with online spaces (facebook maybe?) and wanted to send them my way, I’d love that! I’d love to make some friends so I can stop talking my boyfriends ear off lol.
I’m also a girl and knowing how few and far between we can be in these spaces, if you are too my DMs are always open! Id love to make more female reefer friends and who knows, maybe one day soon we can all band together and nerd out on facetime with glasses of wine lol.

Anyways, that’s all i’ve got for now, but thanks for having me y’all!

Hi! I am out in the Fraser Valley, so not too too far from you. Welcome to the hobby fellow female reefer. I am happy to help with what little I know.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local scene has been rather stagnant for a number of years, I'm not aware of any gatherings or swaps since about four years ago now. That was supposed to change last year but fell through.

In terms of where the action is happening, Canreef.com buy/sell has a decent Vancouver focus.
On facebook both Coral Hoarders (https://www.facebook.com/groups/479661259535735/) and RASWA (https://www.facebook.com/groups/505547336770308/) are where a lot of coral moves. A backup for each is on mewe, they have links in both FB Groups for it. For general groups Reef and Saltwater Aquariums of British Columbia (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1759733580945162/)

Aside from that, retail wise there isn't much other than J&L Aquatics in Burnaby. James from the groups was set to launch his store before covid hit, shorelinecorals.ca. Other than that, I won't touch any other stores for livestock.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add, we have a very active private sale frag scene here, with Jess in North Van that has some especially top end pieces that are super healthy. There's also a third option for stores that I forgot about, Canadacorals recently was bought by a new owner (relocated to Kamloops) and they have a satellite facility in Coquitlam that is coming online soon. So not exactly a LFS, but another option "locally" for retail.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
pics!!!..we all love pics.. :)

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local scene has been rather stagnant for a number of years, I'm not aware of any gatherings or swaps since about four years ago now. That was supposed to change last year but fell through.

In terms of where the action is happening, Canreef.com buy/sell has a decent Vancouver focus.
On facebook both Coral Hoarders (https://www.facebook.com/groups/479661259535735/) and RASWA (https://www.facebook.com/groups/505547336770308/) are where a lot of coral moves. A backup for each is on mewe, they have links in both FB Groups for it. For general groups Reef and Saltwater Aquariums of British Columbia (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1759733580945162/)

Aside from that, retail wise there isn't much other than J&L Aquatics in Burnaby. James from the groups was set to launch his store before covid hit, shorelinecorals.ca. Other than that, I won't touch any other stores for livestock.

just to tack on to this - Fish Addicts in Langley is a great spot for livestock . Eric has always done his best to bring in special orders for me - also a good place to find some great used items

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the best family around. Sure we fight sometimes, but we all have the same goal of creating beautiful aquariums and not letting our spouses know how much we spend on the hobby. LOL
Some of us are lucky in that we don't have a spouse so no one to answer to!! (Best thing about being not married!)
1590865222116.png
Welcome Orly! I am fairly new too and another gal online. Loads of help, fun and friends here. Vancouver is on my bucket list to visit. I hear it is wonderful!

Back