Welcome to the Reef
Photo_1657758493481.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

OP
OP
S

sllaursen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Finally got everything down to zero and matched with the small tank. Had the lfs verify water in both was the same and it was safe to make the move. Happy to say, everyone is happy and enjoying more space!
Now to figure out the best way to qt fish. In 20 yrs (off and on) of reef tanks, I’ve managed to be very lucky just throwing the fish in the display tank. Trying to do things right bc I know there are horror stories out there ‍♀️
(Also need to figure out how to take a picture without it being so dark and blue. I know it can be done bc y’all do it all the time…‍♀️)

Attachments

• 8597E7D5-C839-4892-813B-EA96DEE8FA62.jpeg
    8597E7D5-C839-4892-813B-EA96DEE8FA62.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 14

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, we’ve had several saltwater aquariums over the years and always love them. Currently we have a 13.5 fluval that we’re fixing to move into the new 65 that we got a week ago. We’ve put new live sand in, about 15 pounds of cycled live rock and another 30 pounds of dry rock/life rock. I also took the filter media from the fluval and out in the sump.
We started the Dr. Tim’s fishless cycle like we used in the little tank but then my husband changed the sponge filter out of the sump ‍♀️ Wondering if it really matters or if I can just move everything from the 13.5 into the 65 now with a water change. Ammonia is at about 1, nitrite is less than 1 but not quite 0. Nitrates are at 1.2. If the little tank can support the current bioload, wouldn’t it be fine in the big tank. Thoughts and thanks for any advice?!

Welcome! Glad you joined.

No hard and fast rules about this, and likely if you ask 5 people you might get 6 different answers. Instead going forward, ask yourself (before it matters... hindsight is always 20/20) will it matter to you? Essentially heart of your question - will anything be irritated or die and best answer I could give is MAYBE. Why risk it? I'm grappling with question about my own setup and fish, and sometimes it can be hard because of no one answer. For you,with such low water parameter readings on ammonia and nitrite, could be even test kit used and not true numbers. With all this said, ... I think you'll be fine having changed out that sponge filter. I will still cross my fingers, just in case!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

Let us know how things turn out! Hoping wonderfully!!

This might help you find people local to you in Georgetown (is that in DC?):

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back