Hi! Anyone Have Advice For My New Nano Tank?

OllieGreen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm new to reefing (but I've been interested in it forever) and am just starting up my first nano tank. I'm really excited and ill be putting everything together in the next few days. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice on my tank and let me know of anything that i'm missing, would be really helpful to add, or wouldn't think to need. Here are the equipment, livestock, and procedures i'm planing on using. I'd really appreciate any help you could give me.

Equipment:
-Waterbox 20 CUBE with AI Saltwater Lighting
-Instant Ocean Salt Mix
-100W orlushy heater
-SeaChem Ammonia Alert
-API Reef Master Test Kit
-SALIFERT pH test kit
-a water bottle non electric ATO
-South Seas Base Rock 20 lb
-20 lb CaribSea Fiji Pink Live Sand
-Reef Glue
-Instant Ocean branded epoxy putty
-fritzyme nitrifying bacteria
-an unknown brand wave maker
-small floating algae scraper
-refractometer (don't know what brand or anything)

LiveStock:
-Fancy Ocellaris Clown
-Caramel Ocellaris Clown
-Yellow Watchman Goby
-Tiger Pistol Shrimp
-5 or so Dwarf Hermit Crabs
-2 Turban Snails
-1 Fighting Conch Snail

Corals(Roughly):
-Green Star Polyps
-superman montipora
-PPE cyphastrea
-Birdsnest
-sunset montipora
-Clove Polyps
-Candy Cane Trumpet Coral
-a few zoas (3 or 4)
-duncan coral
-blue splatter mushroom

What I'm Feeding:
-Frozen Brine and Mysis Shrimp
-Red Sea Reefer Coral AB nutrition
-Ocean Nutrition Green Marine Algae
-New Life spectrum Thera Pellets

Procedural Stuff:
I'm planning on setting up the tank with a homemade salt water mix made from instant ocean salt and distilled water.(I don't want to use treated tap because i'm from Florida and it's pretty much swamp water). I'll have the live sand and add nitrifying bacteria almost immediately after setup. I'm planning on running the tank for a few weeks and then adding all of the corals and fish a few days apart. I'm planning on running my lights around these percentages; (UV-75%, Violet-75%, Deep Blue-90%, Blue-85%, Green-5%, Moonlight-15%, Red-10%, White-25-30%). I'm planning on doing around 10-15% water changes a week.

i'm sure there is plenty of stuff i am forgetting but this is what i can think of of hand. I really appreciate if you took the time to read through all of this i know it was long, and i would love for any sort of feedback or help.
Thanks alot. :)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, and welcome.

Keep us updated and ask questions. Don’t rush. Focus on getting the tank set up, stable and running and slowly build from there and you will be successful

1598050215138.gif

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm new to reefing (but I've been interested in it forever) and am just starting up my first nano tank. I'm really excited and ill be putting everything together in the next few days. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice on my tank and let me know of anything that i'm missing, would be really helpful to add, or wouldn't think to need. Here are the equipment, livestock, and procedures i'm planing on using. I'd really appreciate any help you could give me.

Equipment:
-Instant Ocean Salt Mix
-100W orlushy heater
-SeaChem Ammonia Alert
-SALIFERT pH test kit
-Reef Glue

LiveStock:
-Fancy Ocellaris Clown
-Caramel Ocellaris Clown
-Yellow Watchman Goby
-Tiger Pistol Shrimp
-2 Turban Snails
-1 Fighting Conch Snail

Corals(Roughly):
-Green Star Polyps
-superman montipora
-PPE cyphastrea
-Birdsnest
-sunset montipora
-Clove Polyps
-a few zoas (3 or 4)
-duncan coral
-blue splatter mushroom

What I'm Feeding:

Procedural Stuff:
I'm planning on setting up the tank with a homemade salt water mix made from instant ocean salt and distilled water.(I don't want to use treated tap because i'm from Florida and it's pretty much swamp water). I'll have the live sand and add nitrifying bacteria almost immediately after setup. I'm planning on running the tank for a few weeks and then adding all of the corals and fish a few days apart. I'm planning on running my lights around these percentages; (UV-75%, Violet-75%, Deep Blue-90%, Blue-85%, Green-5%, Moonlight-15%, Red-10%, White-25-30%). I'm planning on doing around 10-15% water changes a week.

i'm sure there is plenty of stuff i am forgetting but this is what i can think of of hand. I really appreciate if you took the time to read through all of this i know it was long, and i would love for any sort of feedback or help.
Welcome Ollie.
Sound like you have a plan.
Show us your progress.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Equipment:
-Instant Ocean Salt Mix
-100W orlushy heater
-SeaChem Ammonia Alert
-SALIFERT pH test kit
-Reef Glue

LiveStock:
-Fancy Ocellaris Clown
-Caramel Ocellaris Clown
-Yellow Watchman Goby
-Tiger Pistol Shrimp
-2 Turban Snails
-1 Fighting Conch Snail

Corals(Roughly):
-Green Star Polyps
-superman montipora
-PPE cyphastrea
-Birdsnest
-sunset montipora
-Clove Polyps
-a few zoas (3 or 4)
-duncan coral
-blue splatter mushroom

What I'm Feeding:

Procedural Stuff:

In my experience in an nano tank green and red lights gave me algae. too much white light as well. Research lighting before you turn it on. Also I would highly suggest not turning on the lights for a while which will allow the proper bacteria to grow in order to combat algae growth. I think its heterotrophic bacteria. And before adding any live stock, high temp water in the cycle helps this bacteria grow. If you turn your lights on too soon, you will get the ugly stage fast. A UV will help prolong that inevitable stage as well as allowing the proper bacteria colonies to grow. Check out this video about bacteria by Dr Tim:

Also think about getting a TDS meter to test the rodi water before using it. Total Dissolved Solids are present in the water before adding salt and a lot of times aid in algae and diatom blooms.
Also research and think about UV sterilizers. Not everyone agrees to use one but in my nano tank experience I wish I had one to keep my water clean even though I was doing weekly water changes as well.
Check this video out:
AT 15:04 HE SAYS he would not think about starting a new tank without a UV.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OllieGreen

OllieGreen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
OllieGreen

OllieGreen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience in an nano tank green and red lights gave me algae. too much white light as well. Research lighting before you turn it on.
Also think about getting a TDS meter to test the rodi water before using it. Total Dissolved Solids are present in the water before adding salt and a lot of times aid in algae and diatom blooms.
Also research and think about UV sterilizers. Not everyone agrees to use one but in my nano tank experience I wish I had one to keep my water clean even though I was doing weekly water changes as well.
Check this video out:
AT 15:04 HE SAYS he would not think about starting a new tank without a UV.

Thanks for the advice

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for linking that, I'd heard instant ocean or red sea was usually the go to but ill check it out to try and avoid any casualties.
I added another link there for you to learn more about bacteria- I use Red Sea Coral Pro. Its great for mixed reefs I saw Coraline algae start growing a month after fist starting to use it. My corals thrive with it more compared to Brightwells salt mix.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice
Yeah man no prob. Its a fun hobby. Teaches me how to practice patience. Like for real. lol. I just joined the hobby November 2019. Im still learning too. But keep us updated with pics! I'd absolutely love to see your progress.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back