Hi - Christmas gift - and oh so new to a saltwater aquarium from Ashville, AL

FloridaTechHopeful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 11th grade daughter aspires to be a Marine Biologist. For Christmas I've gotten her a Fluval Evo 5 gallon. So far, so good I've loaded the live sand, live rock, ocean water from what looks like a big wine box! I put in a heater and got it cycling. The water is clear and here was the test today: PH 8.0 Ammonia between 5.0 to 1.0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate 10 ppm. I ordered a thermometer and saline tester today.
My daughter has always loved tiny things. I am hoping to add one or two Asterina starfish, some easy to grow soft coral and a tiny invertebrate, (not necessarily in that order.) I failed to order a calcium and phosphate test... I guess I will handle next. Heck, I've already learned so much trying to set this tank up... I may or may not let her take it away to college! LOL ;) Looking forward to reading your post.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 11th grade daughter aspires to be a Marine Biologist. For Christmas I've gotten her a Fluval Evo 5 gallon. So far, so good I've loaded the live sand, live rock, ocean water from what looks like a big wine box! I put in a heater and got it cycling. The water is clear and here was the test today: PH 8.0 Ammonia between 5.0 to 1.0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate 10 ppm. I ordered a thermometer and saline tester today.
My daughter has always loved tiny things. I am hoping to add one or two Asterina starfish, some easy to grow soft coral and a tiny invertebrate, (not necessarily in that order.) I failed to order a calcium and phosphate test... I guess I will handle next. Heck, I've already learned so much trying to set this tank up... I may or may not let her take it away to college! LOL ;) Looking forward to reading your post.

It's always best to tailor your tank around the fish you want to keep. But in this case, I understand and agree. It will be a small investment to plant a seed and see if it grows into a lifetime of rewarding science. I admire your desire to support your daughter's dream.

I have a Fluval Evo 5 gallon. It is a nice little tank. But understand that small tanks like this require a lot of attention. Their small size doesn't allow for much in the way of filtration and they rely HEAVILY on water changes to thrive. In the case of this tank, I would swap out 1 gallon of water weekly. That is 20% of its total volume and industry standard practice.

Also remember that it is important to keep your water level consistent. You do this by topping off to proper levels on a daily basis.

Also remember that while water evaporates, salt does NOT. For this reason, it is important to know that you must NOT use pre-made water from the "wine box" for topping off. For this you must use plain RODI water. Using water from the wine box to top off will result in elevated salt levels.

Finally, the picture on the box is misleading. The light that comes with the tank will not support coral growth with maybe the exception of Zoas and Hammers.

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 72267.png
    72267.png
    57 KB · Views: 18

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome!! I agree with most, the extra tests won't really be necessary for such a small tank, just water changes will replenish any used up elements.

Google sexy shrimp. They are a cool little invertebrate that you should find pretty fascinating, they should work in that tank :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back