Hi - Christmas gift - and oh so new to a saltwater aquarium from Ashville, AL

Preyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! We visited recently and loved the school. So many good things about it. I'm praying it works out
Good luck! It is a great school. Not far from where I live. I have a bunch of friends that went to FIT.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 11th grade daughter aspires to be a Marine Biologist. For Christmas I've gotten her a Fluval Evo 5 gallon. So far, so good I've loaded the live sand, live rock, ocean water from what looks like a big wine box! I put in a heater and got it cycling. The water is clear and here was the test today: PH 8.0 Ammonia between 5.0 to 1.0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate 10 ppm. I ordered a thermometer and saline tester today.
My daughter has always loved tiny things. I am hoping to add one or two Asterina starfish, some easy to grow soft coral and a tiny invertebrate, (not necessarily in that order.) I failed to order a calcium and phosphate test... I guess I will handle next. Heck, I've already learned so much trying to set this tank up... I may or may not let her take it away to college! LOL ;) Looking forward to reading your post.
Welcome to Da Reef!
Marine Biology Ocean GIF

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 11th grade daughter aspires to be a Marine Biologist. For Christmas I've gotten her a Fluval Evo 5 gallon. So far, so good I've loaded the live sand, live rock, ocean water from what looks like a big wine box! I put in a heater and got it cycling. The water is clear and here was the test today: PH 8.0 Ammonia between 5.0 to 1.0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm and Nitrate 10 ppm. I ordered a thermometer and saline tester today.
My daughter has always loved tiny things. I am hoping to add one or two Asterina starfish, some easy to grow soft coral and a tiny invertebrate, (not necessarily in that order.) I failed to order a calcium and phosphate test... I guess I will handle next. Heck, I've already learned so much trying to set this tank up... I may or may not let her take it away to college! LOL ;) Looking forward to reading your post.

Welcome! Glad you joined. Its a great family hobby - if she does take it off to college maybe you get a 'twin' tank so its like she's still at home with you and gives you even more to talk about when you catch up on her future life.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
Welcome to R2R.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back