Hi Everyone, SO excited to dive in!!!!!!!!!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no sand,no dry rock
WP_20160405_001.jpg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no sand,no DRY ROCK!! algae magnet

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! As a good starting point, go to BRS.com. they have great videos in their "5 minute guide to setting up a reef tank" that explains the process very well and is sometimes easier to familiarize yourself thank reading forums! At least to start :)

Keiki

AKA LACY ON RC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...........Stay out of high pressure places until you decide - well, don't stay out, but don't let them talk you into anything you haven't decided for yourself. If you see something you really like I would suggest that you don't buy it right away unless it's what you have been looking for. Go home and think about it and ask questions here if necessary. Sometimes just posting here what you are thinking about buying some people might point out things you haven't thought of yet.

Good Luck!!

Edited for clarification
This! Some places will try to sell you anything just to get a sale and they sometimes don't have a clue what they are talking about and give bad info. Not all places, but some. If you find something you like don't buy it unless it's something you were looking for. Go home and think about it. Also, posting here what you found others might be able to answer your questions that you didn't think about. So many things to consider.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to hear some LFS recommendations for San Francisco or Bay Area!!

Welcome to R2R! Lots of great reefers here in the Bay Area. Like others have mentioned, take it slow and keep it simple. Watch BRS videos and read as much as you can on the site before you start buying equipment. Look on Craigslist too. Lots of good deals on used equipment. It took me almost a year before I had water in my current tank. Reef tanks are a marathon, not a sprint!

We have some good LFS in the Bay Area. Personally I buy my corals online or through a couple trusted local reefers. For fish, I only buy from Aquatic Collection. Great selection, prices and healthy fish. They also have a large selection of corals and they’re probably the closest to SF.

If you don’t have a tank yet, swing by Neptune’s in San Jose. They have a huge selection of awesome tanks to either buy or just get ideas. They also have some great display tanks set up and a huge selection of fish and corals.

OP
OP
LisaAhmad

LisaAhmad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Lots of great reefers here in the Bay Area. Like others have mentioned, take it slow and keep it simple. Watch BRS videos and read as much as you can on the site before you start buying equipment. Look on Craigslist too. Lots of good deals on used equipment. It took me almost a year before I had water in my current tank. Reef tanks are a marathon, not a sprint!

We have some good LFS in the Bay Area. Personally I buy my corals online or through a couple trusted local reefers. For fish, I only buy from Aquatic Collection. Great selection, prices and healthy fish. They also have a large selection of corals and they’re probably the closest to SF.

If you don’t have a tank yet, swing by Neptune’s in San Jose. They have a huge selection of awesome tanks to either buy or just get ideas. They also have some great display tanks set up and a huge selection of fish and corals.
Wow, I was just there a while back. Low pressure, super friendly staff. Glad my radar for a good place is aligned with experienced reefers. ;Happy;Happy

OP
OP
LisaAhmad

LisaAhmad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am very impulsive ,would of done by now just kidding lol
Oh sorry I missed these posts, no not yet.
Doing freshwater for a while now and my Father did as well growing up.
So much more forgiving in fresh than reef so I'm pretty cautious going in.
Being doing own research for a little while and pretending to know much more about chemistry than I actually do.
This is a great way to just confirm or realign my thoughts.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah you got hammered with messages it was a slow night ,you woke the world lol

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome!

Buy someone else’s of local Craigslist, OfferUp etc.

Or something like this link

most importantly have fun.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back