Hi Everyone, SO excited to dive in!!!!!!!!!

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! I hope you wallet is ready, lol.

Sumps are not necessary, but they do provide you a lot of expansion options. I personally think sumps are more important on larger tanks and anything under 40g can be achieved with an all in one tank. You might not be able to get a good protein skimmer, which cleans the water, but you can achieve the same results without one too on a smaller system.

Just for clarification. Most people consider anything 30-40 gallons or smaller to be small tanks in this hobby.

Some advice:
1) don't take 1 person's advice on this site, lol, because they may not have the best advice. I usually look at personal experiences and compare it to the hobby consensus, which takes time and research to get familiar with. Research and this hobby go hand and hand. There are some users that have the ReefSquad badge, which are usually more seasoned hobbyists that you can trust.

2) @Bulk Reef Supply has amazing videos on their site for new comers and advanced hobbyists alike. Take some time to look at those!

3) Go on the member's tank forum and look at people's tanks and how they run their system. It may give you a good idea on what you can achieve given the equipment they have. Most users give a lot of detail on the equipment and methods they use!

4) Plan long term. Most new comers end up getting a bigger and better tank with in months to a year of starting because they realize how tank size can affect a lot of options. Bigger is easier in this hobby as keeping things stable and being able to house more types of fish.

5) Ask lots of questions. There are always people on here willing to help!
+1

OP
OP
LisaAhmad

LisaAhmad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! I hope you wallet is ready, lol.

Sumps are not necessary, but they do provide you a lot of expansion options. I personally think sumps are more important on larger tanks and anything under 40g can be achieved with an all in one tank. You might not be able to get a good protein skimmer, which cleans the water, but you can achieve the same results without one too on a smaller system.

Just for clarification. Most people consider anything 30-40 gallons or smaller to be small tanks in this hobby.

Some advice:
1) don't take 1 person's advice on this site, lol, because they may not have the best advice. I usually look at personal experiences and compare it to the hobby consensus, which takes time and research to get familiar with. Research and this hobby go hand and hand. There are some users that have the ReefSquad badge, which are usually more seasoned hobbyists that you can trust.

2) @Bulk Reef Supply has amazing videos on their site for new comers and advanced hobbyists alike. Take some time to look at those!

3) Go on the member's tank forum and look at people's tanks and how they run their system. It may give you a good idea on what you can achieve given the equipment they have. Most users give a lot of detail on the equipment and methods they use!

4) Plan long term. Most new comers end up getting a bigger and better tank with in months to a year of starting because they realize how tank size can affect a lot of options. Bigger is easier in this hobby as keeping things stable and being able to house more types of fish.

5) Ask lots of questions. There are always people on here willing to help!
OMG you must have been heartbroken to have to tear-down that gorgeous tank/ :(

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Great advise.
Just keep doing your research. You're on a great path. The key is to be able to walk into the lfs (or browse ads) and tell them what you want. Way better than going in asking what do I need :)

spockwelcome.jpg

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, I've just decided to take the plunge and get into the hobby.
I am a little overwhelmed by all the equipment and stuff and would love to get your advise. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
I'm a little put off by a Petco visit as they were a little intense.
How should I get the ball rolling!!!!!
Thanks,
Lisa.
Hi Lisa I’m Paulie and Welcome aboard r2r, best advice I can give u is ask as many questions as you can on this website, no matter how simple question might be( no such thing as a stupid question) The awesome members here are always willing and able to answer questions and give advice any time day or night. I can say you did the best thing for a first step in joining this website. I can’t tell you how much they have helped me. I’m extremely new myself and with the outpouring of advice and explanation from r2r I now have a live tank up n running. 55gal with 20 gal sump. Stil little cloudy but will clear in time

image.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, Hong Kong. :D I've been there!
SO I look ed up BRS, Bulk Reef Supply, I'm pretty sure I ordered from them once for a hang on back for a Betta setup.
So I really figured I could google all this but just really happy to build up this as a real hobby and share with like minded people and enjoy the journey.
If I want to just have a 40 gallon or so tank, does it mean I must have a sump? What about the All in one systems? I'm not sure why a sump would help me?
All in one or AIO are great because everything can be hidden in the back. It’s like a sump but you’re micro sizing everything. For a beginner tank, it’s not a bad idea. Depends on your budget and size.

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read as much as you can and take notes and then read some more. watch as many videos as possible. Youtube is full of them and BRS has a bunch of great videos. If you have a problem or question someone on here has already had it and has an answer for you. welcome to the family.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG you must have been heartbroken to have to tear-down that gorgeous tank/ :(
Well, yes and no. I miss the big tank, and this 20g long is depressing in comparison, but I know I will set it back up once I we buy a place in DC. So long term, it will be better than before! I am keeping everything so it will be the same equipment with more fancy corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome yo!!! It’s nice to have yet another Cali reefer here. Biggest thing always is simply determining WHAT you want to keep them build the tank around that as a concept. Once you have the what you can track down folks that have done it well and copy their success.

As someone else stated Bulk Reef Supply has a new 5 minute series built around starting a new reef tank for beginners. Been keeping reef tanks for over 25 years (used to be called invertebrate tanks) and even I learn something from every single video they post. Well worth the time investment before jumping in.

Also if you live along the coast in Cali it is good to know that if you want live food it is super easy for us all to grow T Cali (aka tigger pods) in buckets our yards. Just sayin.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the obsession Lisa! One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that in addition to doing some reading online and asking questions in forums like this, it can be very valuable to hook up with your local reef club(s) before you start designing and purchasing your tank and equipment. Normally these clubs will hold monthly meetings at members' houses so that you can see first hand the great diversity of saltwater/reef tanks and how each reef keeper has gone about building a successful display tank over time. Some have dedicated fish rooms behind a large 6 to 10 foot display tank. Others may only have a small 20 gallon nano which is exquisitely reefscaped with corals. Be prepared to drool (until you ask how much some of them cost LOL)! Also, members are always selling equipment and tanks as they go up in size or down in size (often due to moving) in addition to trading or selling coral frags and fish, and this can save you a lot of money. Just make sure you learn about quarantining livestock before you add to your main display, as not all persons are as careful about keeping pests out of their tank as others.

I don't know the San Francisco scene, but here are a couple links that may point you in the right direction besides googling or asking at your local fish shops:

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/california.524/
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=392

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back