Hi-Fin Goby/Pistol Shrimp

kstelz12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a newly cycled tank and at the recommendation of my, LFS purchased a Hi-Fin Goby, Pistol Shrimp (that is about 1.5 inches), and some variation of a fairy/flasher wrasse. I have a 30L AOI Innovative Marine tank and my Goby has gotten in the back of my tank twice. This last time I found him in my filtration basket. I think I heard it happen, so I don't believe he was in there long, but I really don't know. I immediately put him back in the tank and was certain that was the end. He had lost color and just sat at the bottom of the tank. Thankfully I work from home and have been monitoring him all morning. At the initial feeding, he did not make an attempt to eat. Once I saw him moving around I finished my morning feeding and he did eat. He has resumed his post outside the cave that the pistol shrimp predominantly stays in. He has sustained some serious fin damage. To which may be contributed to his adventures to the back of the tank, but I'm also concerned the pistol shrimp is not interested in sharing his den. I've tried to monitor that relationship and I've never seen the shrimp attack the goby, but I did notice damage to his tail prior to the most recent adventure. I continue to monitor the goby, but I am concerned about potential aggression, another attempt, and the damage to the goby's fins.

My water parameters are not ideal right now, I have 0 ammonia, .5 nitrite, and 10 nitrates...which i measure every day, and have done two small water changes in the last couple of days. I wonder if this is causing stress in my shrimp, resulting in aggression and or/ causing stress in my fish promoting the escape attempts. If anyone has advice, please share! I have a lid, but I think the goby has either made it through the 1/2 crack at the back or through the return filtration. I have since blocked the crack at the back of the tank with some filtration media and found that Innovative marine makes a cover for the returns that is smaller than what comes with the tank. My immediate concern is the recovery of the fish, followed by the potential aggression of the shrimp, and lastly resolving the jumping issue. Please share your insights/experiences!

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also got a goby / pistol about 18 months ago. I may have jumped the gun because I didn't have a very good pod population established and the goby died after a few months (only fish i killed and I still feel bad about it) They did get separated when I added them to the tank and it took a few weeks before they hooked back up. However, I haven't seen the pistol shrimp since the goby died over a year ago. BUT...every evening I hear the loud pops coming from my tank so I know he's still in there! The shrimp i never ever ever see has become one of my favorite additions to the reef... imagine that! I know it isn't the information you've asked for but it's all I got and I love telling the story. Good luck I hope the little guy makes it!

OP
OP
K

kstelz12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you not have a screen top? Or is the goby getting through the sides of the screen top?
I have a screen top. a couple of days ago he was in the main part of the return, but today he was in the media/filter tray. He could have gone through the return vents. I have blocked the space at the back of the tank with filter media that I cut (a large piece of filter floss.

OP
OP
K

kstelz12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got a goby / pistol about 18 months ago. I may have jumped the gun because I didn't have a very good pod population established and the goby died after a few months (only fish i killed and I still feel bad about it) They did get separated when I added them to the tank and it took a few weeks before they hooked back up. However, I haven't seen the pistol shrimp since the goby died over a year ago. BUT...every evening I hear the loud pops coming from my tank so I know he's still in there! The shrimp i never ever ever see has become one of my favorite additions to the reef... imagine that! I know it isn't the information you've asked for but it's all I got and I love telling the story. Good luck I hope the little guy makes it!
thank you for sharing. I really hope it works out for my little friends!

OP
OP
K

kstelz12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for sharing. I really hope it works out for my little friends!
I have put pods in there as well, I don't believe enough to populate a continuous solution, but just put it in on Saturday.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back