Hi im considering setting up a saltwater tank

bd2122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I am considering setting up a saltwater tank.I have done little research yet and just want advice.So what do I need to set it up I want corals.It would be in a 125 gallon tank I have no idea at all about salt water but have kept freshwater tanks now for about 6 years currently 2 betta tanks and an empty 5 gallon im soon to be gifiting.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

howdy and welcome

OP
OP
B

bd2122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for responding what would be some good corals to start with

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
BRS TV has a great series called the 5-minute guide. All short videos on stuff you need/want to know about reef tanks. I would suggest watching it so you have a basic understanding of the hobby.

If you have any questions about it or about something else, let us know!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for responding what would be some good corals to start with
I am starting out with coral too. The easiest are soft corals. They can tolerate things more. Sounds like you are trying to decide on equipment too. Watch the videos on BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) TV on youtube and take a look at their website (not saying to necessarily purchase from them). Also, look at similar build threads on here. See the badge on my profile. Most folks have a thread and they go over the equipment they bought and setting up their tanks. There are different designs and do it yourself too. So it depends on how much money, how automated and how do it yourself you want to be. Also suggest you read Ron Reefman articles here. Great advice for beginners.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bd2122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting out with coral too. The easiest are soft corals. They can tolerate things more. Sounds like you are trying to decide on equipment too. Watch the videos on BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) TV on youtube and take a look at their website (not saying to necessarily purchase from them). Also, look at similar build threads on here. See the badge on my profile. Most folks have a thread and they go over the equipment they bought and setting up their tanks. There are different designs and do it yourself too. So it depends on how much money, how automated and how do it yourself you want to be. Also suggest you read Ron Reefman articles here. Great advice for beginners.
i am trying to decide on equipment I want suggestions still but in my previous post I list my tank and I think i'm going do a sump and have decided i get this setup i will use real reef rock so that it is easiest i did watch some others videos coralfish12g and he was not supportive of the 6 stripe wrasse but brs does what is your opinion

shanescycling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While you can always drill and add an overflow box to that petsmart tank, you would probably get more bang for your buck looking for a used tank.

OP
OP
B

bd2122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wont be able to drive out of my city due to truck I would have to borrow my friends truck and he wont let me drive lol so it is better but i live in a tiny town so that's what i have to have thank you tho
While you can always drill and add an overflow box to that petsmart tank, you would probably get more bang for your buck looking for a used tank.

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I am considering setting up a saltwater tank.I have done little research yet and just want advice.So what do I need to set it up I want corals.It would be in a 125 gallon tank I have no idea at all about salt water but have kept freshwater tanks now for about 6 years currently 2 betta tanks and an empty 5 gallon im soon to be gifiting.
Depends on the corals. Ide recommend watching bull reef supplies videos about the basics of reefing. The keys are stability, light, chemistry, filtration, flow and biodiversity of bacteria. And also picking fish and invertebrates that will serve a purpose and help the tank. It’s a lot at first but just take it one piece at a time. Start by researching corals and see what kinds you like, cause that will
Impact how you set up the system. You also need to decide how much money you want to put into automating the tank and safeguarding it from equipment fails with an aquarium controller like an apex.

OP
OP
B

bd2122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Probably the best advice I can give is start with pure water. Its best to have your own rodi unit to make your saltwater / top off water.
hi thank you it looks really cool mine will have to be a lot simpler due to me being broke living paycheck to paychecks so i cant due as much as yours but one of these day btw what is your opinion on 6 line wrasse

OP
OP
B

bd2122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the corals. Ide recommend watching bull reef supplies videos about the basics of reefing. The keys are stability, light, chemistry, filtration, flow and biodiversity of bacteria. And also picking fish and invertebrates that will serve a purpose and help the tank. It’s a lot at first but just take it one piece at a time. Start by researching corals and see what kinds you like, cause that will
Impact how you set up the system. You also need to decide how much money you want to put into automating the tank and safeguarding it from equipment fails with an aquarium controller like an apex.
thank you the coral is most important to me and I want it done right and mainly not diy so I don't screw it up I will have to by little at little

OP
OP
B

bd2122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi thank you it looks really cool mine will have to be a lot simpler due to me being broke living paycheck to paychecks so i cant due as much as yours but one of these day btw what is your opinion on 6 line wrasse
sorry i posted to the wrong comment but it is better to mix your own and what about six line wrassees

OP
OP
B

bd2122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Probably the best advice I can give is start with pure water. Its best to have your own rodi unit to make your saltwater / top off water.
thank you it looks really cool mine will have to be a lot simpler due to me being broke living paycheck to paychecks so i cant due as much as yours but one of these day btw what is your opinion on 6 line wrasse

OP
OP
B

bd2122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone ive done more reasearch is it worth it to buy a kit or diy im deccently handy but my freind and dad both are good at that i was going to do the 125 from etsmart but should i get a kit

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you the coral is most important to me and I want it done right and mainly not diy so I don't screw it up I will have to by little at little
Yeah that’s the best way to do it. My opinion would be just have a plan for everything. The little things will fill in over time but u need to have a general plan for all those important things. For lighting I would recommend an aquatic life t5 led hybrid fixture, the same length as your tank. You can use whatever leds you want, but the best is the EcoTech gen 5s, probably the xr15s. For filtration I would try to stay as natural as possible. Maybe just media plates like marine pure, a skimmer, a really good refugium, filter socks, and a nice skimmer and some carbon. That’s about all you need. And if you go with that lighting, there isn’t a thing that won’t grow in your tank. Rodi starting water is also very important, combined with a good salt mix to start.

OP
OP
B

bd2122

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s the best way to do it. My opinion would be just have a plan for everything. The little things will fill in over time but u need to have a general plan for all those important things. For lighting I would recommend an aquatic life t5 led hybrid fixture, the same length as your tank. You can use whatever leds you want, but the best is the EcoTech gen 5s, probably the xr15s. For filtration I would try to stay as natural as possible. Maybe just media plates like marine pure, a skimmer, a really good refugium, filter socks, and a nice skimmer and some carbon. That’s about all you need. And if you go with that lighting, there isn’t a thing that won’t grow in your tank. Rodi starting water is also very important, combined with a good salt mix to start.
thank you has anyone kept freshwater and how much of a difference is there

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back