Hi I'm Joe and I'm a reef addict looking for a support group...

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! It sounds like you have had quite a journey - we look forward to following along with the next part! We're glad you're here!

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooooo I have had aquariums on and off over the past 20+ years. It started out fresh as a young adult then tried marine 20 years ago and took a break because I was given poor info at the time, I was young, wanted instant results and after throwing tons of money I felt like I was better off flushing it down the toilet. Then 10 years ago I decided to get back into it and jumped in feet first when I moved to the UK. This time I had no problems in keeping tanks. I have had 2.5 gallon pico tanks with no issues. I've had 6ft tanks with nothing but puffers up to a foot long (one was like a dog, come straight to the glass and follow you back and forth and come to the surface to be stroked). I've had corner reef tanks. I've had 3ft and 4ft tanks. Even had a custom 48 x 15 x 12 tank made which was nothing more than a long nano, sumpless and housed many a coral and gobies (water changes people! who needs a sump!).

Then I moved back to the US. I would have brought my equipment and tank with me in the whole house move, but the Tunze was on UK voltage vs US voltage... and customs said they would put a hold on the tank and rock since it was "used" and could have pathogens (ummm ok) so the tank and all equipment was left at the Mother in Laws house in storage for my return to the UK in years to come... at least the rock and tank will still be viable. The equipment may be slightly out of date and parts may not be available ... who knows.

Anyhow recently we bought a new home and I decided I wanted another tank or two. I mean can you really only have just one tank being an addict? So I've researched and let me tell you there is a LOT on offer in just the past few years. LED's have come along leap and bounds and they no longer make the wallet cry as they once did. the AIO tanks are now everywhere. In the UK at the time was the Red Sea Max and Bio Cubes for the most part. Nano/Pico tanks trend had just taken off as well, now it seems to have exploded. So in all my research I'm like a kid in a candy store.

So I started looking locally... oh I'm a hour from the Gulf Coast in Alabama.... to see what fish stores were about.. not a lot in the direct area surprisingly enough. Started looking at second hand setups since I know that this an expensive hobby and buying 2nd hand in some aspects saves the wallet and allows you to splurge in other areas.

So after weeks of looking, reading and pricing of equipment and corals/fish I've decided to go with two tanks. Tank #1 a Nuvo 10 and Tank #2 a 40g Breeder. The nuvo is to go between the couch and recliner and the 40B will be in the corner. Though the wife still wants me to get a true curved corner tank. I've had one, but man they are a challenge due to their shape (lighting & flow for the most part). While I would love to have a custom 30x30x24 in the corner, the wallet says nope right now.

The Nuvo will be the first tank to start I think then followed by the 40B start of next year.

So this is the start of another journey down the rabbit hole so to speak....

If by support you mean you want company in your addiction, then you've come to the right place my friend! Admittedly addicted and proud of it!;)
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!:)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r! You should start a build thread when you start putting your tank together.

C0F038B4-9DF5-44FF-8835-12F094E8C83D.jpeg

Back