DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Nice to meet you! I'm Bethany, I'm a wife and mom and I adore/obsess my nano reef. :p

My setup is still quite new, but here are a few pictures of what I've got so far. Coralline is taking over my lr at the moment and everything looks so purple and gorgeous. It's nothing spectacular... Yet! I'm saving to purchase some of my favorite beautiful corals. My goal is to have an underwater cotton candy colored nano. :D

Oh, and those aiptasias? Yeah, they got nuked. Haha!

I love the little sign. That's so cute. :)

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope resurrecting an older thread isn't taboo here. I've been wondering about the lack of women in the hobby, so after I was done Googling and reading a few random articles on the subject I decided to come here and see if there was any mention of the lack females.

This came up, not just because of how my LFS stills treats me as an outsider, but because R2R recently posted on facebook asking folks about their favorite meme's. I know I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was struck by how every single one of them were male-ccentric and several were about how wives view their husband's hobby.

Really, this has flip-flopped my response to the overwhelming difference of the genders in the hobby. Instead of being annoyed and sad about the lack, I'm AMUSED! It's kinda funny AND it makes me feel special!! We women are an anomaly in the hobby and thus a special breed of woman va-va-va-voom!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, women probably make better reefers as they typically pay closer attention to details than most men do. Now... what was I saying here? ;)

:oops:

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, women probably make better reefers as they typically pay closer attention to details than most men do. Now... what was I saying here? ;)

LOL
So what you're saying is quality vs quantity? ;)

I posted elsewhere on R2R about also being into parrots. Now my husband is an extremely tolerant man, he's very laid back and allows me to follow my bliss. I'm sure being married to a vet tech is challenging. He dreads the phone call with the syrupy "huuuuunny". Today was the first time he directly said, "I don't think I want any more birds". I didn't push the subject, just said ok. I'll ask him later if I can still have a few little ones that don't/can't scream like our cockatoo and amazons. :p

He makes it a point to tell me how much he likes my "new" hobby. Why? Because fish aren't NOISY! :eek: He said he wants to support me in any way that he can. So he goes with me to the LFS, he admires the fish, asks me questions, tells me which ones he thinks are "cool", helps me with my 5g jugs filling them up with the RO water or NaCl and loading them into my Jeep.

I think he's honestly interested, too. Every time I'm at the aquarium fiddling with it, checking my temp, testing my water, cleaning the glass, feeding the fish and the urchin, he stops whatever he's doing and comes to watch, make observations and asks questions. It's kinda cute. :D

Betty1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hobby began as mine but as I got my husband involved in the plumbing, he got more interested. Then he found out that there are great electronics in this hobby! Who knew? Finally, I bought him his first fish and he was hooked. Our daughter jokes that this is a two person hobby so she wants no part of it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome!

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woman here! Also mistaken for a guy early on, but not so much anymore! Welcome!

henribrink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a woman for sure. Henri may fool a lot of peeps though. I am not much of a poster, mostly a reader. Love this forum.

Marta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a lady reefer as well! 3 saltwater tanks and 1 on the way! Welcome and enjoy! Lots to learn here and many people willing to help!

jenny989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't run into may females either, but everyone on this site is very helpful so far!

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You other women talking about your husband's starting to get into your tanks is making me jealous lol. I was hoping after all this time he would have caught the bug, but then again, I can't figure out what's so darn interesting about guitars haha:D

BigRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also a female reefer, I just use hubbys name to post everything....he does the equipment and I do the wildlife lol

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 165 61.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.2%
Back