Hi new to the group! Leesa here from Ohio. Trying to see if these are bad. Got live rock and noticed these.

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. yeah those are a bad thing but you can get rid of aiptasia with many types of methods, lots of info here on how to get rid of them. My personal fav is peppermint shrimp they like to eat em.
ryan reynolds deadpool GIF

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Leesa here. New to the group. Was trying to find out what these are.

0725211529.jpg
Welcome!

Glad you joined

+1 vote Frank's F-Aiptasia because it smothers - it you try to pull or worse scrub it off then each remaining bit becomes another aiptasia - best to get it early. Going forward when you introduce corals, use dip though be aware dip doesn't kill anything (except Bayer, pesticide, 4th type not covered in BRS video). BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) has useful video on types of coral dips, so you may need a multi-step dip process. We didn't have that at first which is how I suspect we also had aiptasia.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some peppermint shrimp.
Welcome to R2R. Aiptasia for sure. It will take over the tank very fast. Get a few peppermint shrimps and a bottle of Aiptasia X. use the Aiptasia X on the big polys. any new polys the peppermint shrimps will eat. Good Luck!!!
Welcome to R2R. yeah those are a bad thing but you can get rid of aiptasia with many types of methods, lots of info here on how to get rid of them. My personal fav is peppermint shrimp they like to eat em.
ryan reynolds deadpool GIF

peppermint shrimp *may* also eat hammer, frogspawn, etc corals, so give some thought to what you may have in coral ... this includes 'true' peppermints as well as many mistaken peppermints (which are even more likely than 'true')

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Bummer on the aiptasia, but follow advice and they will be gone before you can say...

"Hey, are these aiptasia, man they really suck. I wish I could just wave a magic wand and they would go away, oh, well, guess I have to search now on Reef2Reef because those guys really know what they are talking about. I love that site, I mean, who wouldn't if they like reef aquariums. Just think, one day I will have a cool aquarium too. Hey, did I see that their is a group of reefers that all got puppies on here. Oh, my gosh I have to follow that thread. I bet they are cute. Oh, right back to aiptasia. I guess I would just get the rock out, and try a few things. "

See, simple as that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back