Hi there R2R! Super noob signing up.

Phatfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I live in central Alberta Canada, and I have had my first reef tank going for about 5 months. The whole family is super stoked on it. It's a 60 gal basic setup no fuge. I'll upgrade eventually to a bigger setup with a sump, but I wanna keep this one going for at least a year before I start doing that. I have 2 Damsels; a blue one and a yellow tailed one, a pair of tomato clowns, 5 hermit crabs and a handful of snails. Got some GSP growing as well as some blue green sympodium doing well. I had some hammer coral but it appears to have died. Also there are a couple mushrooms I was wondering if anyone here could ID. I'm wondering if they'll multiply? Battling a red algae outbreak currently, but we seem to have it under control. Glad to join the community!

IMG_0141.JPG

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a ricordea mushroom.. it likes med/low lighting with lower flow... if kept in acceptable conditions it may split but most likely not for a while yet

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for a bit of Info- that algae your currently having troubles with is actually red cyano bacteria. You can easily find products (completely reef safe) to combat this within a few days... 'Chemi clean' and 'red stain remover' are great products!

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Otherwise, increasing flow/stirring your sandbed will help prevent the cyano bacteria from colonizing (you can also manually remove some of it to help keep it at bay) if it is red cyano, you should see a recession in the colony before your lights turn on, and a much larger colony later in the day- this is because the bacteria are photosynthetic, and their byproducts are the red slime algae you can visibly see

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I live in central Alberta Canada, and I have had my first reef tank going for about 5 months. The whole family is super stoked on it. It's a 60 gal basic setup no fuge. I'll upgrade eventually to a bigger setup with a sump, but I wanna keep this one going for at least a year before I start doing that. I have 2 Damsels; a blue one and a yellow tailed one, a pair of tomato clowns, 5 hermit crabs and a handful of snails. Got some GSP growing as well as some blue green sympodium doing well. I had some hammer coral but it appears to have died. Also there are a couple mushrooms I was wondering if anyone here could ID. I'm wondering if they'll multiply? Battling a red algae outbreak currently, but we seem to have it under control. Glad to join the community!

IMG_0141.JPG

Hi Phatfish,

Welcome to the forum :)
Good choice of stock!
Why do you want to upgrade it?

Zhenya

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back