Hi, we are Joe and Nico from South OC, CA

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am Joe, and my son Nico is turning 4 soon. We started setting up our first marine tank a few weeks ago, Fluval EVO 13.5, and cycling with mix of Live rock, LifeRock and live sand. Thought to start small and on a budget, even though I know it can be even more challenging, and allow Nico's interest and knowledge grow. We are excited about getting a CUC started, then a few fish and over time starting with soft and LPS corals.

Thank you all for this great resource. I am a meticulous researcher--my career is in biotech R&D--and I'm sure there will be many questions that we can get answered in this community.

IMG_20210928_105631.jpg

Hi Joe and Nico and Welcome! Glad you joined

what is your CUC cleaning up if you are starting with CUC? Tank looks pretty clean. Often they can starve if not enough food given, but I'm sure you can work something out.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Love the aquascape!

is that an intank media basket I see?

Great starter tank.
Thanks, and yes, I put the chamber 1 tank. Still figuring out chamber 2. Working on my build thread tonight, so more details to come.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Joe and Nico and Welcome! Glad you joined

what is your CUC cleaning up if you are starting with CUC? Tank looks pretty clean. Often they can starve if not enough food given, but I'm sure you can work something out.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)
Local fish store (henceforth, LFS) said we could start with CUC since it is still early but we're doing well. I have questions about that, such as adding food for them--about half to one week left to go till CUC.

Working on build tonight. Thanks!

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am Joe, and my son Nico is turning 4 soon. We started setting up our first marine tank a few weeks ago, Fluval EVO 13.5, and cycling with mix of Live rock, LifeRock and live sand. Thought to start small and on a budget, even though I know it can be even more challenging, and allow Nico's interest and knowledge grow. We are excited about getting a CUC started, then a few fish and over time starting with soft and LPS corals.

Thank you all for this great resource. I am a meticulous researcher--my career is in biotech R&D--and I'm sure there will be many questions that we can get answered in this community.

IMG_20210928_105631.jpg
Welcome to R2R!! Congrats on your new journey with your son!! I did the same with my 3 going on 4 year old and he is absolutely interested in helping me with anything to do with the tank and loves staring into with me. You will not find a better group of very experienced and knowledgeable ppl to help you. I wish you the best of luck!!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Congrats on your new journey with your son!! I did the same with my 3 going on 4 year old and he is absolutely interested in helping me with anything to do with the tank and loves staring into with me. You will not find a better group of very experienced and knowledgeable ppl to help you. I wish you the best of luck!!
Thanks! I was just looking at your build last night. Seems like a good way to get ideas, start a wish list and see how others troubleshoot.

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I was just looking at your build last night. Seems like a good way to get ideas, start a wish list and see how others troubleshoot.
Definitely I sat on the site for many months before I actually took the leap searching build threads and reading a lot people’s threads even if it wasn’t related to my research. This place is full of so much knowledge it’s almost overwhelming at time. But I Can’t get enough haha.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20210928_105631.jpg
Welcome to R2R!!!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side and our community! You will find plenty of help and resources here so always feel free to ask questions. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back