Hi764 Hanna Nitrite ULR

Michelin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My friend gave me Hanna ulr nitrite checher.... Is it possible to use it to measure no3 with the reagent of the kit included?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My friend gave me Hanna ulr nitrite checher.... Is it possible to use it to measure no3 with the reagent of the kit included?
No. Nitrate needs to be reduced to nitrite before forming a colored test solution. The nitrite test chemistry does not have the necessary chemical.

OP
OP
M

Michelin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Nitrate needs to be reduced to nitrite before forming a colored test solution. The nitrite test chemistry does not have the necessary chemical.
I suppose was in this way.... Someone has already used this checker using no3 salifert test kit?

OP
OP
M

Michelin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I woul like to test salifert with this Hanna checker I need to prepare some cal liquid... I have this nitrogen.... Is it possible to use to make calibration solution? If yes how I have to calculate the ml of part rathar then saltwater?
IMG_20200526_131001.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I woul like to test salifert with this Hanna checker I need to prepare some cal liquid... I have this nitrogen.... Is it possible to use to make calibration solution? If yes how I have to calculate the ml of part rathar then saltwater?
IMG_20200526_131001.jpg
Yes, you can use the nitrite checker to measure the color intensity of a nitrate test. Salifert would be OK but if I recall correctly, it has a test volume of 2 mL and you need 10 mL for the nitrite Checker. You would need to increase the test volume and reagents 5 times.

To create a calibration curve you will need sodium or potassium nitrate, a scale, etc. Or you might be able to buy a reference standard solution of nitrate and do a serial dilution. The bottle you are holding could be used. The nitrate concentration will probably be close to the analysis if it is a new bottle or has been tightly capped between uses.

Does that make sense?

OP
OP
M

Michelin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect... Thanks it is what I would like to do... In the bottle I'm reading 1 per cent so if I put 1ml in 999ml of salt water the final no3 concentration will be 10ppm?

OP
OP
M

Michelin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect... Thanks it is what I would like to do... In the bottle I'm reading 1 per cent so if I put 1ml in 999ml of salt water the final no3 concentration will be 10ppm?
What is assumed is correct?

999ml pure salt water plus nitrogen (1%of no3) it means 10ppm no3? Is it correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you are not doing this correctly.

First, I have no idea how accurate that value on the bottle is. We can only assume it is correct, but that is likely to be an imperfect assumption. This is not an analytical standard, it is a fertilizer. Often, the legal requirement for a fertilizer is a guaranteed minimum, not a guaranteed value.

Second, it says nitrate nitrogen is 1%. Thus, nitrate ion, which weighs 4.4 times as much as nitrogen, is present at 4.4%, or 44 mg/mL.

If you put 1 mL (containing 44 mg of nitrate) of that into 1000 mL total, the final concentration is 44 mg/L, or 44 ppm nitrate ion.

OP
OP
M

Michelin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So practically is waste of time to do using the staffs that I have at home.... Any other way to do it not investing a lot?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So practically is waste of time to do using the staffs that I have at home.... Any other way to do it not investing a lot?

To make a nitrate standard? Do you have a scale?

You can buy standard solutions premade. Spike into seawater for testing.

OP
OP
M

Michelin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make a nitrate standard? Do you have a scale?

You can buy standard solutions premade. Spike into seawater for testing.

I don't have a scale but I would like to buy something. Do you have suggestion? ... for me it's too much the cost of the ref solution. It is just a test...

I have to find any other solution to approach the problem...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a scale but I would like to buy something. Do you have suggestion? ... for me it's too much the cost of the ref solution. It is just a test...

I have to find any other solution to approach the problem...

The links I posted were for if you do not have a scale. They are premade analytical standards. If you take the 100 ppm version,you can spike seawater with it by volume and then test for nitrate.

OP
OP
M

Michelin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i did some trial and i want to share with you:

1)so i prepared a clean 1 liter salt water using RO water plus Salt (red sea 38gr per liter)
2)i took 10 ml for reference
3)added 0.1ml of Nitrogen Solution
4)took 10ml from contenier and added 4 drops of No3_1 and a spoon powered of NO3_2 (salifert Test kit)
5) i saw that the color is not stable vs time and after multiple measurements the color went stable after 40min(probably it is due to the fact i used 10ml od water instead salifert suggest just 1ml)
6)after 40minuts the coloration is stable and i can repeat the measurement multiple time and measurements i took was 40 (reading in the display og nitrate ULR hanna checker)

to prove measurements method is consistent i added again 1ml in the main solution so now the concentration will be 1 liter of pure salt water plus 0.2ml of nitrogent at 1%

repeated the measurements and now after 40 minutes the reading is 80

repeated again the process adding another 0.3ml of nitrogen but after 40 minutes the reading is 170 instead 200 expected but could be the diode sensitivity i higher for lower value and at that value im near the saturation(my hypothesis)

so if we trust what they wrote in the packet it means that
-0.1ml of nitrogen added in 1Liter SW is 4.4ppm - Hanna Reading is 40
-0.2ml of nitrogen added in 1Liter SW is 8.8 ppm - Hanna Reading is 80
-0.5ml of nitrogen added in 1Liter SW is 22 ppm - Hanna Reading is 170

so it means roughly i can read the value and divide per 10 to obtain ppm of NO3 using this method.

the only stuffs that frustating me is to wait 40 minutes to have a stable reading...

please let me know your opinion...

br
Amedeo

OP
OP
M

Michelin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I tested my tank water with standard procedure (salifert visual) and modified with Hanna checker

Visual needs 3 minutes
Modified needs 40 minutes

Reading the same value
Visual around 2.5ppm
Modified 2.2ppm

IMG_20200601_131714.jpg IMG_20200601_131830.jpg IMG_20200601_135417.jpg IMG_20200601_135515.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Michelin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, that seems reasonable.

The potassium nitrate you posted would be a good one for making a more accurate standard. .

i saw also one in a local store 1kg around 10 euro.....(it is food grade)

could you explain why so long to converge to a costant value?

if instead i insert 1 ml Salt Water plus 9 ml RO do you think i will obtain 3 minutes of convergences?

it seems I inserted 10 times water and result seems 10 times to have convergences in time rather than salifert instructions....

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 129 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.0%
Back