High Alkalinity - Is that the Secret to More Colorful SPS?

Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok reading all this and I've got to say , a lot of wrong info here. Alk has nothing to do with color first of all and for growth it doesn't matter hi or low alk . Growth is achieved from less stress . In other words stable parameters if you can keep alk cal and mag steady all the time you will get fast growth. As for color your po4 are way to high, are your sps brown you would like to aim for 0.00 or 0.02 . Do you us a RODI if so whats your reading coming out your RODI filter it should read 0.00ppm

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok reading all this and I've got to say , a lot of wrong info here. Alk has nothing to do with color first of all and for growth it doesn't matter hi or low alk . Growth is achieved from less stress . In other words stable parameters if you can keep alk cal and mag steady all the time you will get fast growth. As for color your po4 are way to high, are your sps brown you would like to aim for 0.00 or 0.02 . Do you us a RODI if so whats your reading coming out your RODI filter it should read 0.00ppm

I use RO Water.

I will have to test it as I have never tested that for Phospate.

But shouldn't all RO Water be 0.00 since it is Filtered?

Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use RO Water.

I will have to test it as I have never tested that for Phospate.

But shouldn't all RO Water be 0.00 since it is Filtered?

Its called a TDS meter its will let you know if your Rodi is filtering the water like it should and will also let you know when its time to change filters . This is a must to have

Last edited:
OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its called a TDS meter its will let you know if your Rodi is filtering the water like it should and will also let you know when its time to change filters . This is a must to have

Yes, I use a TDS Meter.

It tests for Total Dissolved Solids though which is everything.

Are you saying I should test the RO Water with a Phosphate Test too?

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. Be careful with the .00 phosphate. Keeping your phosphate at this level for to long can result in tissue necrosis at the base of your SPS. If you bring your nutrients down as recommended above, alk above 8 - 8.5 will lead to burnt tips. Alk has no impact on color, although rapid swings have caused some browning IME. Low nutrients with stable params will have a positive impact on color. Good Luck, James

Erikhsf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my alkalinity between 9.5 and 10.5 and I have great color. I keep my calcium around 440-450 and my magnesium 1500-1600.
Your mag is 1500 to 1600 I thought I was high at 1400 ro 1450. Is this helping you with the color or just keeping your alk and cal where you would like it?

Ryan Doolittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found temperature can play a role too. I have found better color keeping acros cooler. I see alot of people set their tank Temps high (79-80) and its great for growth. But I had best colors when I had a lower dkh (8-8.5) and the temperature of the aquarium set cooler (76-77).

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get some pictures of the corals? I'm having a similar proplem
20210410_193838.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back