High ammonia ppm after beginning of cycle . Pp

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I appreciate in advance and info that can help me with this. I’m doing a fishless cycle using Dr. Tim’s ammonia chloride and PMS Probio.

I have a 65 gallon tank but after rock and sand being put in the tank it only took about 40 or so gallons. With that being said yesterday evening I put in 5ml of ammonia chloride and 55ml of PNS Probio to kick off the cycle . Today when I got home I tested and got readings of 8ppm ammonia it looks like, I’ve attached the image to this post so you all can see this . I am using the API ammonia test kit. Is this regular to have this high of ammonia ppm even though it is only a day in and just being worrisome or do I need to do something to correct this sooner than later?

Thank you all in advance again for any Information or help that can be provided towards my question.

90545867-3322-485C-BBE8-BDDBBD22BAA0.jpeg 7506E402-3C52-4011-B357-17B42331A46C.jpeg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always thought ammonia levels were to be around 2 or 4 ppm but I can’t remember the exact number . It’s been many years since I’ve had to cycle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OcReefer714

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429

Are you over dosing ?

even though you’re using api can you list all of your parameters along with tank picture ?
Not that I am aware of , what I stated above is what I put In. I apologize I am brand new to this so I’m assuming by parameters you mean other readings ? If so, the only kit the store sold me and said I need at this time was the ammonia testing kit. However I did Order another kit that will be here tomorrow that will test the following; hardness, nitrate , nitrite, free chlorine , total alkalinity, carbonate, and ph levels. I’ve attached some pictures of the tank for you to view.

Attachments

• B1CF1F45-6CCF-4CD3-A14C-DC409E3D57E6.jpeg
    B1CF1F45-6CCF-4CD3-A14C-DC409E3D57E6.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 2CD02A4E-D1F2-454A-A507-F6C46080D984.jpeg
    2CD02A4E-D1F2-454A-A507-F6C46080D984.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 3DFC176D-1A51-4C9B-B70D-806BB359A0CB.jpeg
    3DFC176D-1A51-4C9B-B70D-806BB359A0CB.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0
OP
OP
OcReefer714

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always thought ammonia levels were to be around 2 or 4 ppm but I can’t remember the exact number . It’s been many years since I’ve had to cycle
The guy at my local fish store said that it should be around 2 ppm, this is a big reason why I’m concerned.

Upvote 0

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you JUST starting your cycle? I would let it run and test daily. You don't have any livestock correct?
Used fresh premixed SW or mixed with Ro?

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is some of that rock, the majority, purple and not white

Was that portion true wet live rock from a pet store that you moved home wet

If so, a lucky hidden save is about to happen

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I am aware of , what I stated above is what I put In. I apologize I am brand new to this so I’m assuming by parameters you mean other readings ? If so, the only kit the store sold me and said I need at this time was the ammonia testing kit. However I did Order another kit that will be here tomorrow that will test the following; hardness, nitrate , nitrite, free chlorine , total alkalinity, carbonate, and ph levels. I’ve attached some pictures of the tank for you to view.
Im
Only going to assume it’s another api kit .
and I’ll offer a little advice .

you won’t need hardness ( it’s for freshwater )
Chlorine or free chlorine you won’t need as ideally you should be using either rodi water or distilled at least .
I would advise against using tap water .
with that said the tests you need now

-Salinity ( either refractometer or digital salinity checker
- ammonia which your api kit will be ok for the cycle purpose but known be be not accurate ( could result in under or overdosing ) not a huge concern seeing as you’re doing fishless

you will want a nitrate test kit to show when your cycle is finished but again Brandon will advise that they are not needed if you base the cycle on time and not actual tests .
Nitrite isn’t needed at all as it’s not toxic to marine fish at the levels we experience

that’s it for now …
When you’re ready for corals and hopefully you have time to research prior to getting there .
mill give you another list of tests kits needed at that time .

hope this helps

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OcReefer714

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you JUST starting your cycle? I would let it run and test daily. You don't have any livestock correct?
Used fresh premixed SW or mixed with Ro?
Yes , I put the Sand, water , and rock in on Sunday evening And then put the ammonia chloride and pns probio in yesterday evening . No I do not have any livestock. I used the premixed sw i got at my local fish store.

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like dry life rock prior to any algae growth but we will wait to see the reply from the op

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters : later as you get used to posting these are all very important tests values

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OcReefer714

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The white rock is just Marco rock “dead rock” and the purple rock I got out of the tanks that had water pouring on them underneath the coral breeding tanks they had

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OcReefer714

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im
Only going to assume it’s another api kit .
and I’ll offer a little advice .

you won’t need hardness ( it’s for freshwater )
Chlorine or free chlorine you won’t need as ideally you should be using either rodi water or distilled at least .
I would advise against using tap water .
with that said the tests you need now

-Salinity ( either refractometer or digital salinity checker
- ammonia which your api kit will be ok for the cycle purpose but known be be not accurate ( could result in under or overdosing ) not a huge concern seeing as you’re doing fishless

you will want a nitrate test kit to show when your cycle is finished but again Brandon will advise that they are not needed if you base the cycle on time and not actual tests .
Nitrite isn’t needed at all as it’s not toxic to marine fish at the levels we experience

that’s it for now …
When you’re ready for corals and hopefully you have time to research prior to getting there .
mill give you another list of tests kits needed at that time .

hope this helps
Unfortunately it’s not it’s a strip kit that I had ordered on Amazon because I had a gift card and figured I’d put it to use. It said it’s for saltwater and freshwater . I was planning on ordering a refractometer today . I will order a nitrate test kit as well today .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OcReefer714

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read about that PNS Probio and it says best when added after a system is cycled?

Did you use the Dr. Tims - One and Only? Or you just used the amonia chloride solution with the PNS Probio?
I was told to add the pns probio and the ammonia chloride at the same time and then every few days add more pns , this is all per my local fish store.

Upvote 0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t have to be submerged to be this

wet, sitting in a vat of water marked live means live

read that thread for ten minutes

can you see how your system is already cycled due to what’s in that thread

simply do a 100% water change you don’t need all the stuff you bought and put in

before doubting: really honestly read the thread and its examples

the small complement of white rock simply doesn’t matter.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back