High ammonia ppm after beginning of cycle . Pp

OcReefer714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I appreciate in advance and info that can help me with this. I’m doing a fishless cycle using Dr. Tim’s ammonia chloride and PMS Probio.

I have a 65 gallon tank but after rock and sand being put in the tank it only took about 40 or so gallons. With that being said yesterday evening I put in 5ml of ammonia chloride and 55ml of PNS Probio to kick off the cycle . Today when I got home I tested and got readings of 8ppm ammonia it looks like, I’ve attached the image to this post so you all can see this . I am using the API ammonia test kit. Is this regular to have this high of ammonia ppm even though it is only a day in and just being worrisome or do I need to do something to correct this sooner than later?

Thank you all in advance again for any Information or help that can be provided towards my question.

90545867-3322-485C-BBE8-BDDBBD22BAA0.jpeg 7506E402-3C52-4011-B357-17B42331A46C.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
before we all jump on care requirements they all have similar but knowing exactly what species may determine which is easier to care for .
as most will say bta can be easier to care for compared to a mag ( ritteri )
I am not a big believer that you can't put an anemone in a just started up tank. I have done it many times successfully. That said, I think the reason people have problems is lack of experience rather than any magic cause due to how long the tank was set up.

Upvote 0

carnicomh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride and one and only. Followed directions and tank cycled in 7 days. Ammonia never hit over 2ppm, so maybe you added too much AC to begin with. I added one fish and three snails first, then another a week later after cycle was complete. Small ammonia pops when adding each fish, which were both probably false, but did wcs nonetheless and zero ammonia or high nitrates in two weeks. Tank is great at the moment! Only problem I have is my damsel is a pig and tries to out-eat my clown. Have to feed them on opposite sides lol. Clown hates it, but they get along with zero aggression. Anywho, if it's that high consider a water change to bring it back down. The AC dose might've been too much, but can still be controlled. Might want to add more bacteria as well with that high ppm. I'm still new after not having a reef tank for many years, so please don't hate on me if anyone has more experience!

Upvote 1

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back