High calcium bad?

6lue9uy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so...my Calcium is high for some reason...
Only been dosing alk, salt at 1.24 with tropic Marin pro reef.
I suspect might be bad reagent if there is no other explanation how it got high.
I do 20-30% water change weekly.
it's been going on for 2 weeks now, no effect with water change, and slowly creeping up.
I will keep up water change may do water change every 3 or 4 days.

I notice 2nd possible reason maybe because I've added alk into new salt water to match display tank water prior to water change 2 weeks ago? But again only sodash from brs been using. No other dosing or water treatment chemicals.

I'm wondering if reading are correct, will this lvl of Calcium be bad for the over all tank?

Will double check Calcium lvl with redsea later the day.

Screenshot_20210520-001905_APEX Fusion.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming that your specific gravity is 1.024 and not actually 1.24. Generally high calcium is not an issue, but with a reading that high I'd have to agree with possibly some kind of testing issue if you didn't accidentally add a large amount of calcium somehow. Generally the only issue with high calcium levels is the increased chances of having precipitation.

OP
OP

6lue9uy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably is. Now I recall I also reload the reagent around/ during 2-3weeks ago as well. And being cheap af I dumped old reagent into the new cans as well. Will do a manual testing on all 3. But alk I did double check with hanna and they are very close.

OP
OP

6lue9uy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Found out the reason. It was bad reading from user error. Didn't calibrate trident correctly/ didn't enter calibration number on the solution...

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, can any calibration solution from the Trident package (6 months or 2 months one) be used to calibrate the Trident? I am having similar uses myself...Extremely high CAL values (Also using Tropic Marin Pro Reef). This started in the last 3 weeks with the exchange of a new trident from Neptune...

Back