High End Acro Pack available including RR Rainbow Splice, RR Jaw Dropper, RR Angry Birds, SKA Jackpot, JF Home Wrecker, JF Jolt and many more!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahh gotcha. If you could only run one type of light, which one would it be? Sorry to go off topic on your post.

OP
OP
A Reef Creation

A Reef Creation

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh gotcha. If you could only run one type of light, which one would it be? Sorry to go off topic on your post.
No worries,
I guess I'll give the generic answer I give all my retail customers.
It depends on the type of corals I'm keeping, size of aquarium, budget, if it's for grow out, display, trade show. There's so many factors to consider when choosing a light. I'm a big fan of T5 Reefbrite combos for growing out sps, we have Kessil LED lighting on one tank in the shop and they are great for LPS and zoa tanks and great trade show lights for their simplicity with great shimmer effect but we prefer Radions for SPS systems. I usually then point out that there's a reason many aquaculture farms use Radions to light their systems and it's because of how well they grow stuff. I'm still experimenting with 3 of the RedSea LEDs so it will be some time before I formulate an opinion on them. AI Hydras work good as well. And since we have a ton of Halides laying around from the old store and heat is not an issue we still run them but I would probably never buy them for a new setup. It's been years since I've sold a MH bulb at my retail shop.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, you ended up answering my question without me being more specific as to the type of coral that I was referring to (sps). Thanks for the wonderful answer.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I really need to make it out to Buffalo again and make it a point to stop out to ARC(been a couple years). I hear they have a new store, but I so liked the old store. It had a "well used" LFS feel to it. And that back room! Thats where it was really at!

Really enjoyed chatting with Randy the day I was there, as this man knows his isht!

Sorry for the hijack, but just had to throw in my $.02.

Hausser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well does that jaw dropper grow for you, hear they are slow. I think I may need to add 1 more corals to my three you have healing right now.

OP
OP
A Reef Creation

A Reef Creation

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well does that jaw dropper grow for you, hear they are slow. I think I may need to add 1 more corals to my three you have healing right now.
The Jaw dropper started off slow. My piece was just a cookie. A small encrusted base with no branches in early 2018 and took a few months before it starting kicking things into gear.

Here's a photo from August 2018. You can see the colored part of the base is the original encrusted cookie and the darker areas are newer encrusted growth with some random tips starting to form.

IMG_9746.jpg

And the tank it was growing in at August 2018. Hard to find but about 2 O'clock just above the Blue Cookie Monster Stag.
IMG_9762.jpg

November 20th 2018 same tank. It's grown well in 3 months and glued to larger disk. Again just north of Blue Cookie Monster.
IMG_1099.jpg

January 2nd 2019 Just above the snail shell. Cookie Monster is now above it as this shot is from other side of tank.
IMG_1729.jpg

February 2019 before cutting up for sales.
IMG_1839.jpg

March 2019 after cutting disk almost in half.
bottom. Home wrecker on top
IMG_2825.jpg

Two of the frags from the March harvest top and bottom.
Jason Fox Homemaker Tenuis on left, Home wreckers middle and bottom
IMG_2828.jpg

May 30th 2019 making a comeback
IMG_4350.jpg

July 27th I borrowed a friends camera and got this very filtered photo. Last photo I could find before it got harvested for September Livesale.
P7240582.jpg

Off topic but I took this photo of my Rainbow Splice that night also with the heavy filter camera. Fun but way overcooked :)
IMG_5521.jpg

Back on Topic

November 16th 2019 Filled up the second disk he was glued to. Next we glued him to a 4" Tile.
IMG_7130.jpg

IMG_7134.jpg

December 21st 2019 The last photo of that tank before it sprung a leak 2 nights later so sorry for the crappy pic. It's on the tile below the Rainbow Splice now also on a 4" tile.
IMG_0843.jpg

It was harvested heavily after this to help fund the new tank we setup in January at the shop. It's very sad looking right now with one branch. I'll let it rest for a month or two before harvesting it again. Sorry Hausser.

I guess the hour I took to flip through thousands of photos to make this post was more to show you that it does grow well once it gets going. It was also fun to reminisce on those older photos.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back