High levels of potassium and lithium in ICP's

scolymia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

Making several ICPs of different brands, always high levels in potassium and lithium appear. Potassium always around 600-700 mg / l (correct value: 390-410) and lithium about 500-550 mg / lg (correct over 175).

It is a 1000-liter system, with osmosis water and a lot of water changes almost daily (salt tropic marin pro reef and Aquavitro salinity, alternating), since it belongs to a store, about 12 years working, no major problems are seen, all corals work well, soft, lps, sps, acroporas etc. Filtration is simple, only live rock and skimmer, rollermat, recirculation, no sand, nutrient levels are kept rather low, no3 1-2ppm and po4: 0.01-0.04.

For alkalinity I use Seachem Fusion 1 and Fusion 2, stable levels of it by Kh Keeper and peristaltic. I have been using Red Sea No3-po4-x in a small amount to maintain nitrates for a few months, but the K-Li levels were already high before, so I do not attribute it to that product. I do not use other chemical additives, only very sporadically some test product. I only use food for corals twice a week, classic and not in much quantity (Aquaforest, Fauna marin, Reef roids, easy booster (phyto), but nothing stable, continuous or over-added.

Could these two elements be being added in excess by Seachem's Fusion 1 and 2?
What other sources of those elements could be adding it?
How bad is this excess for corals and / or the system in general?

Thank you.

I add the latest ICP analysis

Attachments

• Analyse152725.pdf
    129.8 KB · Views: 54

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know if Fusion has a proper amount of potassium or not. I do know that despite it claiming so, it is not properly designed for 1:1 dosing, so its not out of the question that it is mis-designed or mis-manufactured, but I would have thought that it would have been reported by others if that were the case.

Some people intentionally boost potassium above NSW levels, so it may not be seriously detrimental.

Do you use tap water for top off?

Might have been a bad batch of salt mix.

OP
OP
scolymia

scolymia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, Thanks for the answer.

No sé si Fusion tiene una cantidad adecuada de potasio o no. Sé que, a pesar de que lo afirma, no está diseñado correctamente para la dosificación 1: 1, por lo que no está descartado que esté mal diseñado o mal fabricado, pero habría pensado que lo habría informado otros si ese fuera el caso.
Yes, I know that Fusion 1 and 2 are not for 1: 1 dosage because it is impossible to maintain the proportional levels of alkalinity and calcium with that dosage, you need to add much more amount of Fusion 2 (Alk) than Fusion 1 (Ca + Mg + some traces (strontium, boron, iron, manganese and molybdenum). In any case, the manufacturer does not indicate that it has neither K nor Li, so they should not accumulate.

Do you use tap water for top off?
I Always use RO/DI water

Might have been a bad batch of salt mix.
It has happened for quite some time, previously I used Salinity from Aquavitro, but to see if the problem was solved I changed to Tropic Marin Pro reef, spending in different batch, I also previously used Red Sea Salt, the problem remains the same after having used a lot, a lot salt in different batches (it is a store, we sell many corals and therefore we change a lot of water, daily, it is the same salt that is sold to customers and the problem is prior to salt.

Some people intentionally boost potassium above NSW levels, so it may not be seriously detrimental.
I think so too, but I am more concerned with lithium, and above all not knowing why those levels are so high, where do they come from using such a simple system.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy, Thanks for the answer.

No sé si Fusion tiene una cantidad adecuada de potasio o no. Sé que, a pesar de que lo afirma, no está diseñado correctamente para la dosificación 1: 1, por lo que no está descartado que esté mal diseñado o mal fabricado, pero habría pensado que lo habría informado otros si ese fuera el caso.
Yes, I know that Fusion 1 and 2 are not for 1: 1 dosage because it is impossible to maintain the proportional levels of alkalinity and calcium with that dosage, you need to add much more amount of Fusion 2 (Alk) than Fusion 1 (Ca + Mg + some traces (strontium, boron, iron, manganese and molybdenum). In any case, the manufacturer does not indicate that it has neither K nor Li, so they should not accumulate.

You are right. Not sure why they didn't add an appropriate amount. As designed, Reef Fusion will lower potassium when you maintain salinity.

I do not think the lithium is any concern. it is not very toxic and is often elevated in salt mixes and reef aquaria.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the potassium, tank fed Nori perhaps?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would take a lot.

Reported values vary considerably, but wikipedia says 356 mg K/100 g nori (that's a lot of nori).

In a 1000 L system (the OP system), to boost K by 100 ppm would take 28 kilograms of nori. :)

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would take a lot.

Reported values vary considerably, but wikipedia says 356 mg K/100 g nori (that's a lot of nori).

In a 1000 L system (the OP system), to boost K by 100 ppm would take 28 kilograms of nori. :)

Would seem a little reaching wouldn't it. With so much water changed it really does seem odd that its not down where it belongs.

OP
OP
scolymia

scolymia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not use Noli algae, but use Masstick (mixture of shimp and microalgae) and easy booster (fitoplancton). Only a little amount.

I do not think the lithium is any concern. it is not very toxic and is often elevated in salt mixes and reef aquaria.
Your words make me calmer, Randy. Thanks, a lot.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back