High levels of TIN in my tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had my water tested and noticed that my tin levels are high. I have lost a bunch of corals recently and was trying to figure out if this was the case.

I was recommended to do water changes to lower the levels. I don't have any metal objects in the tank that are rusting that I have noticed. I have some magnets for probes and power heads but they do not appear to be rusting.

I also noticed my sand is clumping together very badly. Will the tin bind to the sand and rock? Should I remove everything and start from scratch? Please advise as my tank is doing rather poorly.

Attachments

• Triton test 1 (2).pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 1,275

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had rusty screws that were noticeable and my tin levels were around 166, I removed the screw did 15% water changes for a few weeks, sent another sample in along with a test of fresh saltwater (Reef Crystals), and my tin levels were now around 33 and no tin in my fresh saltwater. I lost many acros because of that but now things are starting to rebound a month and a half after sending in the second samples. I imagine now my tin is very low, will probably send in another sample soon and continue 15% water changes weekly.

There could be something rusting in your display too, thoroughly check your display. And if the magnets you have are bare, and not covered in some type of rubber or paint or something, they could definitely be elevating your heavy metal contents.

OP
OP
M

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double check for sure but all my magnets are covered and not exposed. I do have a metal shaft in my flow meter and return pump but I can't imagine that rusting since its stainless. Someone told me that new PVC pipes could leach Tin. So i guess losing my corals is deff from the tin right? Everything else seems relatively in check.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specifically, my Tin, Aluminum, and Barium were all very high. With water changes they all went down. I guess all three of them were from the rust in my screws. Can't really say which element did what. However, I didn't notice much change in my Zoas and LPS, it was mainly SPS that took the hit. You know something is wrong when your acros of three years suddenly die lol.

But yes, I would say the Tin in your system is a big problem for coral health and growth. Anything you could do to lower that, and find the source is the best. I can't testify to PVC leaking tin though :/

Retroreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People were saying marine pure had been responsible for the aluminum

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I recently had my water tested and noticed that my tin levels are high. I have lost a bunch of corals recently and was trying to figure out if this was the case.

I was recommended to do water changes to lower the levels. I don't have any metal objects in the tank that are rusting that I have noticed. I have some magnets for probes and power heads but they do not appear to be rusting.

I also noticed my sand is clumping together very badly. Will the tin bind to the sand and rock? Should I remove everything and start from scratch? Please advise as my tank is doing rather poorly.
Theres a few people here with threads about having tin in their reef. Levels were just a little higher then yours, they were also having some issues. Maybe try buying something like tlf medasorb. I get some stuff present on my icp tests once in a while, usually buffing up my water changes fixes the problem, then I'll send out another test.

The tin Could be the reason for the issues your having, id still check for rust. The sand im not sure if it will drive clumping but there is metals that drive precipitation. Those results look really good, i wouldnt revamp your tank over it. Let's get a photo of your setup if you could

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tin levels aren’t very high, but coupled with other stressors and depending on the coral, it can have an effect. Typically browning, followed by bleaching or RTN in SPS.

On its own, it’s unlikely to be down to corrosion, I would expect it to be present with zinc, copper and chromium for this to be the source (think either brass or metal plating layers).

Tin is used as a plasticiser and stabiliser in PVC m (flexible and rigid) so if you have added any tubing or equipment recently, then it’s a possible source

Water changes or use of a specific carbon will remove. (Not all GAC will remove, Rowacarbon does not remove it, however another I was given to try removed all the tin in less than two weeks).

If it is from piping etc, then once it’s removed, it’s gone. It doesn’t seem to leach over a period of time.

Hope this helps.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine’s 40ug

My following plan...I’ve already done a completely 100% water change by doing 15% a week. I started Triton Detox, will follow by Panta Lith. I will do 2 treatments of the 2 and then throw in some TLF Metasorb. I’ve already sent out another sample before the start of treatment and will send another after a week with metasorb.

Hopefully this knocks it out of my system. Btw, polyfilter/cuprisorb doesn’t work, my lvls we’re still high after running those 2.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine’s 40ug

My following plan...I’ve already done a completely 100% water change by doing 15% a week. I started Triton Detox, will follow by Panta Lith. I will do 2 treatments of the 2 and then throw in some TLF Metasorb. I’ve already sent out another sample before the start of treatment and will send another after a week with metasorb.

Hopefully this knocks it out of my system. Btw, polyfilter/cuprisorb doesn’t work, my lvls we’re still high after running those 2.

Your best approach is water changes. Triton detox will only bind copper and lead. Polyfilter etc won't remove much tin, although may have a small effect.

Some users have had success with Metasorb.

I was skeptical, but used a particular type of granular carbon which did remove it. If folk are interested, then Vince @ Aquarium connections in the UK supplied it. I believe he is thinking about releasing as product.

OP
OP
M

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response everyone. I will post a tank shot tonight. This is a brand new tank with brand new piping that I haven really done a legit water change on. So i suspect it has something to do with the PVC pipes. I feel like if it was a rust issue there would be other metals found in the water column especially chromium. I will try the LFS metasorb with water changes.

Most of the corals I lost were SPS, Plate coral and a Scoly.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, tin may not be the cause of your sps death. Even though my levels are high, my sps and other corals are fine.

OP
OP
M

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well everything else in my test seem fine. I have plenty of light and flow seems weird that 3 different pieces of sps would all just die.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, tin may not be the cause of your sps death. Even though my levels are high, my sps and other corals are fine.

It's certainly a possible factor, however has different effects in different tanks depending on the compound tin is contained in, water chemistry and coral health.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well everything else in my test seem fine. I have plenty of light and flow seems weird that 3 different pieces of sps would all just die.

How old is your tank and what is your nutrients?

My tank is coming up on 1yr. I had some problems in the beginning, which prompt me to do a ICP. But my corals have never died, I maybe lost a few sps frags, but also have some thriving since the start.

Last edited:

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response everyone. I will post a tank shot tonight. This is a brand new tank with brand new piping that I haven really done a legit water change on. So i suspect it has something to do with the PVC pipes. I feel like if it was a rust issue there would be other metals found in the water column especially chromium. I will try the LFS metasorb with water changes.

Most of the corals I lost were SPS, Plate coral and a Scoly.
Some of the SPS losses could just be because it's a brand new tank. The lack of stability of a new system can have a negative effect on SPS. I have high tin on my last Triton (I got results yesterday). My SPS, are fine. Great polyp extension, good color, growing. My tin is 7.341 µg/l, I know that's in the, not quite red, level.

OP
OP
M

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank and what is your nutrients?

My tank is coming up on 1yr. I had some problems in the beginning, which prompt me to do a ICP. But my corals have never died, I maybe lost a few sps frags, but also have some thriving since the start.

Its been setup since November of 2017. My nutrients are usually pretty low. Check out the report. Tank has been rock sold stable for a while now.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been setup since November of 2017. My nutrients are usually pretty low. Check out the report. Tank has been rock sold stable for a while now.

5-6 months is a relatively short period of time. The tin may absolutely be a cause of the decline of your corals, but might also be the age of your system. It could be a combination of the two.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My elevated tin levels were a result of a 1 year old vortech mp40wqd wetside magnet crack/rusting. Pump was working fine and I had no idea until I took it apart to check after the test and it was split at the seem between the face and size, brown/orange rust leaking out. Do you use vortechs?

Edit, just saw your running jebaos. I would check those and also every other piece of equipment in your tank unfortunately. take apart return pump and powerheads first and foremost.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back