High levels of TIN in my tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
M

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recent ICP test. My tin is off the charts. Everything else was pretty decent from the test. I have a jabeo return pump as well as flow meter. I wonder if some metal piece in them is leaching tin into my tank. I also use a bunch of Solenoid valves for my automatic top off system. Fritz RPM salt water changes every 2 weeks. What you guys think? I haven't looked yet. Also this tank has been setup for a year and half now with tons of water changes being done. So I think I can rule out Tin from glass and pipes at this point

upload_2019-5-18_18-28-48.png

Last edited:

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recent ICP test. My tin is off the charts. Everything else was pretty decent from the test. I have a jabeo return pump as well as flow meter. I wonder if some metal piece in them is leaching tin into my tank. I also use a bunch of Solenoid valves for my automatic top off system. Fritz RPM salt water changes every 2 weeks. What you guys think? I haven't looked yet. Also this tank has been setup for a year and half now with tons of water changes being done. So I think I can rule out Tin from glass and pipes at this point

upload_2019-5-18_18-28-48.png

If none of the other metals are showing (like Cu, Ni, Cr, Zn) then it's highly unlikely to be from metal corrosion IME. I would say it's far more likely from plasticisers/stabilisers or RO/Salt contamination. Have you replaced any equipment recently?

OP
OP
M

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I haven't add/changed anything in the last 12 months other than powerheads. But they are only about 2 months old and don't have any rust anywhere. I also checked all my pumps, heaters, etc and I didn't notice any visable rust. One of the screws in my Jabeo pump had a tiny bit of surface rust so I put a dab of silicone on it.

I'm going to ICP test my Salt water storage vat. I have a feeling its coming from the salt mix or my mixing container.

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another thought...since I've been dealing with sps dying the last few months and my recent ICP test showed high tin levels as well. I have an awc setup to do a 1 gallong water change every day. Dosers overall have been keeping parameters stable...yet I've lost 1/2 my SPS on my nearly 2 year old system.

Seems like a dumb mistake...but I'm betting this measuring cup I've been using to add salt is the culprit. There's obviously a bunch of rust in it...and everytime I scoop I'm probably dumping metals in the salt water batch as well.
20190522_110759.jpg

Hopefully this is my issue...but figured I'd post it as a reference.

OP
OP
M

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If none of the other metals are showing (like Cu, Ni, Cr, Zn) then it's highly unlikely to be from metal corrosion IME. I would say it's far more likely from plasticisers/stabilisers or RO/Salt contamination. Have you replaced any equipment recently?

Only metal I have is aluminum. But that seems normal to have in most peoples tanks it seems. Does the Tin coming from Plasticizes/stabilizers ever stop leaching into the water? I thought it would be gone after a few months of use. I think that is the culprit here. I checked all equipment, not trace of anything rusting anywhere in my tank. I'm trying the TLF Metasorb to see if that will work. Also doing water changes.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another thought...since I've been dealing with sps dying the last few months and my recent ICP test showed high tin levels as well. I have an awc setup to do a 1 gallong water change every day. Dosers overall have been keeping parameters stable...yet I've lost 1/2 my SPS on my nearly 2 year old system.

Seems like a dumb mistake...but I'm betting this measuring cup I've been using to add salt is the culprit. There's obviously a bunch of rust in it...and everytime I scoop I'm probably dumping metals in the salt water batch as well.
20190522_110759.jpg

Hopefully this is my issue...but figured I'd post it as a reference.

Stainless steel consists of Iron, Chromium, Manganese and often nickel and Molybdenum. No tin AFAIK. Unfortunately, I don't think that's your issue. :(

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only metal I have is aluminum. But that seems normal to have in most peoples tanks it seems. Does the Tin coming from Plasticizes/stabilizers ever stop leaching into the water? I thought it would be gone after a few months of use. I think that is the culprit here. I checked all equipment, not trace of anything rusting anywhere in my tank. I'm trying the TLF Metasorb to see if that will work. Also doing water changes.

Hmmm... Do you use any ceramic media or rock at all?

The good news is that the plasticisers seem to form a layer in my experience. They don't leach out so much as wash off, usually large water changes or dealing with it via a carbon media removes the tin and it doesn't come back.

I've taken to washing anything in the tank with citric acid, using a cloth to ensure I remove any residue and then soaking in RO.

OP
OP
M

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we shall see what the test results bring back from my saltwater storage vat. If its high In tin then I know its likely not coming from my tank but from my salt mix and ill have to switch.

OP
OP
M

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to the test I did on Saltwater storage mix. There is some Tin in my salt as you can see so Ill likely be switching. But also high levels of Silicone. This is from my tap water as I'm told it is hard to remove. I have very low levels of Silicone in my Tank.

//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/4e6429e4782cf055c1aa

OP
OP
M

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW I'm using Fritz RPM salt for those wondering. I will likely be switching to Brightwell or Tropic Marin

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Brightwell and my first ICP test had high Tin in it. My tank is only 4 months old and I have heard that new plastic and plumbing parts can have Tin, so it could be just that. I just sent off another ICP test after doing the 6 15% water changes so I will see that happens now.

OP
OP
M

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Brightwell and my first ICP test had high Tin in it. My tank is only 4 months old and I have heard that new plastic and plumbing parts can have Tin, so it could be just that. I just sent off another ICP test after doing the 6 15% water changes so I will see that happens now.

Yea that seems to be pretty normally when you first setup the tank. Id be curious to see what the brightwell ICP brings back as far as Tin levels.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to the test I did on Saltwater storage mix. There is some Tin in my salt as you can see so Ill likely be switching. But also high levels of Silicone. This is from my tap water as I'm told it is hard to remove. I have very low levels of Silicone in my Tank.

//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/4e6429e4782cf055c1aa

Glad you found the source. If your RO has silicates, I would look at replacing the membrane and ensuring it is operating at the correct pressure and also use a double DI stage, not passing water through until the TDS out of the membrane has reduced to at least single figures and replacing the DI resin on a schedule, before it depletes.

If you have silicates coming through, you could also have phosphates and neither are detectable on a TDS meter. It's not the first time that I have heard of Tin contamination in the salt you use, it's worth a google.

OP
OP
M

mdd1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you found the source. If your RO has silicates, I would look at replacing the membrane and ensuring it is operating at the correct pressure and also use a double DI stage, not passing water through until the TDS out of the membrane has reduced to at least single figures and replacing the DI resin on a schedule, before it depletes.

If you have silicates coming through, you could also have phosphates and neither are detectable on a TDS meter. It's not the first time that I have heard of Tin contamination in the salt you use, it's worth a google.

I don't think its my RODI unit. I use a 5 stage system and replace my DI frequently. MY TDS meter always is 0 for the most part. Others have experienced this as well. Silicone is very difficult to remove in general it seems.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals are definitely more sensitive than others. It also depends on environmental conditions - for example, high PO4 seems to multiply the effect of relatively low levels of tin in my experience.

The main thing to also consider is that we do not know what compound the tin is bound in. If it's from float glass, it's likely to be pure Sn. If from PVC, then it's likely to be organotin stabilisers, which are arguably more harmful. This could explain why some tanks seem fine with higher levels of tin, but others have SPS wipeouts with comparatively low levels.

An ICP only tells us which elements are present, not the chemical compounds they may be in.

Interesting. I will try and give my 12 month tin issue a Cliffs Notes version for yall to hopefully help. As I've lost at least 3k in Acro purchases.

(PREFACE: everything ive done has been tested and notated daily for past 18 months on my Apex. Let's stick with that premise to stay on topic).

Alk =Always btw 6.8-7.3 / Po4 = .04-.10 /No3 = 12-24ppm

I'm going on month 24 of my "new 180g" tank and I am having chronic "tin" accumulate over time. Have never been able to keep acros for longer than a month.

After huge water changes and Triton testing monthly, my tin reduces from 15mcg/l to 2mcg/l.

New Acros started lasting 2-3 months only to succumb to burnt tips then sloshing. Tested Triton again and SN= 15mcg after 4 months of no water changes.

At this point, after ruling out alk swing, insufficient nutrients, light acclimation, and cannot find anymore metals rusting, it must be related to:

1) Marine pure block x2 in sump leaching (bc aluminum is high too)?

2) new pvc or leaching from my flex tubing I use for water changes?

Anything? Please before i go any crazier..

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I will try and give my 12 month tin issue a Cliffs Notes version for yall to hopefully help. As I've lost at least 3k in Acro purchases.

(PREFACE: everything ive done has been tested and notated daily for past 18 months on my Apex. Let's stick with that premise to stay on topic).

Alk =Always btw 6.8-7.3 / Po4 = .04-.10 /No3 = 12-24ppm

I'm going on month 24 of my "new 180g" tank and I am having chronic "tin" accumulate over time. Have never been able to keep acros for longer than a month.

After huge water changes and Triton testing monthly, my tin reduces from 15mcg/l to 2mcg/l.

New Acros started lasting 2-3 months only to succumb to burnt tips then sloshing. Tested Triton again and SN= 15mcg after 4 months of no water changes.

At this point, after ruling out alk swing, insufficient nutrients, light acclimation, and cannot find anymore metals rusting, it must be related to:

1) Marine pure block x2 in sump leaching (bc aluminum is high too)?

2) new pvc or leaching from my flex tubing I use for water changes?

Anything? Please before i go any crazier..
I’ve had Tin issues too, one thing we have in common is flex pvc. Just curious, did this tank start with mostly dry rock?

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got high tin second icp test, not first. 5.6 ug/l . I had high alum first test which is now much reduced. I did use marine pure to start.

Going thru the list but nothing jumping out at me. Will report back if i find it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back