High levels of TIN in my tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t part of the NJ Reefers. There was a fresh water club that met at the American legion building in Freehold. I would attend those meetings and gave a talk once on led lighting and building ponds.
I feel for you. I’ve had a number of issues with my setups. I think my issues were due to low salinity in my tanks. My digital refractometer was off and my salinity was too low. I was so focused on tin being my issue I was blind to anything else. I’ve now corrected my salinity issues and my corals are now much happier. So I’m thinking the tin in my systems may not be an issue. With the tin levels dropping in my RO/DI storage overtime it will most likely disappear in the tanks.

Dave1987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Also have high tim levels 55! And cant find a source tried everything.

Im also suspecting the rrr. There is nothing else. Everything seems alright

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I pulled my 105 gallon Norwesco RO/DI water storage container out and I think I may have found the source of my tin in my RO/DI water. My high level float was rusting. Removing the storage container was no small feat. I didn't have any help but I got the tank out, rinsed it in very hot water and replaced both float switches to be safe. I let the storage container refill and I let it sit overnight. The next day I dumped all that water and let it refill again. I am going to send out a water test on Friday to see if the problem is fixed.

IMG_3425.png
IMG_3419.jpeg

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiming in on the tin clan. Been battling for a year now.
Found a couple maybe culprits and have removed all metal from the sump area. With no luck.

I did find somerust on the screws of my neptune flow sensor and have some replaced it.
Waiting for my water test now!

alternativley I run brute trash cans for myATW and rodi... seems like people are thinking Brute might be a causing issue?

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chiming in on the tin clan. Been battling for a year now.
Found a couple maybe culprits and have removed all metal from the sump area. With no luck.

I did find somerust on the screws of my neptune flow sensor and have some replaced it.
Waiting for my water test now!

alternativley I run brute trash cans for myATW and rodi... seems like people are thinking Brute might be a causing issue?
I've run brute cans for years with no tin issues.

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after everything I still have Tin I now presume it’s coming from my water source.

currently I’musing an 8 stage system. How can I improve on this to remove the tin?
I was thinking of adding 3 stages of extra carbon blocks after the di resin ..??!

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after everything I still have Tin I now presume it’s coming from my water source.

currently I’musing an 8 stage system. How can I improve on this to remove the tin?
I was thinking of adding 3 stages of extra carbon blocks after the di resin ..??!
Did you send in a water sample from right after your last DI resin? That will tell you if it is coming from your RO/DI setup.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took one right after the last DI resin and one from the mixing bin. The one after the last DI resin showed zero tin. The mixing bin showed tin. So I knew my RO/DI system was good. So I knew the tin issue was with the storage container. I had a rusting float switch. I replaced the floats. Just sent a water sample today.

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took one right after the last DI resin and one from the mixing bin. The one after the last DI resin showed zero tin. The mixing bin showed tin. So I knew my RO/DI system was good. So I knew the tin issue was with the storage container. I had a rusting float switch. I replaced the floats. Just sent a water sample today.
Only metal item in my mixing bin is a 4 month old power head

OzzieK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joining this thread as I also have Tin showing up in my first ICP test while everything else was in the green. I bought a used tank so I doubt that glass is the source but I did find that the hinges inside the stand doors were pretty badly corroded so replaced those and covered the new ones with molykote. Will be doing water changes and checking my RO/DI storage for signs of corrosion as well.

What I've been seeing in the tank is fish and zoa's don't seem to mind the elevated tin levels. Also, the CUC doesn't seem to be impacted. But SPS and LPS corals are all slowly receding. Anyone know if there are impacts to other inverts like anemones?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joining this thread as I also have Tin showing up in my first ICP test while everything else was in the green. I bought a used tank so I doubt that glass is the source but I did find that the hinges inside the stand doors were pretty badly corroded so replaced those and covered the new ones with molykote. Will be doing water changes and checking my RO/DI storage for signs of corrosion as well.

What I've been seeing in the tank is fish and zoa's don't seem to mind the elevated tin levels. Also, the CUC doesn't seem to be impacted. But SPS and LPS corals are all slowly receding. Anyone know if there are impacts to other inverts like anemones?
Which ICP test and what was the tin level?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton's ICP - 14ug/l for Tin.

Aluminum is at 8.115ug/l which is higher than their setpoint (2ug/l) but still well within the green.
Although not desirable, a tin level of 14 may not be anything to panic over, especially if it is your first test. I would submit another test, perhaps to ATI (where they also will include a test of your RO/DI), and see how they come back.

I plan to report my final conclusions of my tin problem (in my lengthy thread started last May) in a day or two. (You might find this interesting.....you can scroll to the last few posts if you don't want to read the whole thread).

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 6.16.18 PM.png

Lots of my corals have been doing poorly so I sent an ICP off to triton

5.19ug/L of tin and 4.14ug/L of aluminum. by reading through this thread Im leaning that this is insignificant and not enough to worry about?

fyi: I use neomarine salt stored in brute trash cans + 6 stage RODI

Back