High levels of TIN in my tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I believe I traced my issue to a rusting float switch in my RO/DI storage tank. I'm waiting on my latest RO/DI water test to confirm that the float switch was my issue.
Ken,

Is tin the only metal that was elevated? I have been under the impression that if tin is coming from a corroding metal then other metals should be elevated (because the metal that is corroding would not be pure tin).

I will be receiving my final ICP test (out of 25+ tests) in a day or two. This should confirm my source of tin. (It is definitely from a plastic, but I will comment more on this after my results come in).

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ken,

Is tin the only metal that was elevated? I have been under the impression that if tin is coming from a corroding metal then other metals should be elevated (because the metal that is corroding would not be pure tin).

I will be receiving my final ICP test (out of 25+ tests) in a day or two. This should confirm my source of tin. (It is definitely from a plastic, but I will comment more on this after my results come in).
Tin was the only metal detected in my RO/DI water. Yes you are correct that normally iron and zinc are seen when you have something rusting. In this case it was a magnet that was rusting. I've seen other threads with rusting float switches in RO/DI containers only showed elevated tin levels.
My ATI water test is out for delivery, so hopefully it gets to ATI today and gets on the next shipment to Germany. Hoping I will get results next week.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also sent in a water sample for my 60 cube which had a level of 175ug/l on the last test. I added the Panta Rhei Panta Lith product today. I will do a few rounds of it and then send in another water sample to see if the levels have gone down. Since the Panta Rhei Panta Lith is suppose to bind to the metals and get removed via filtration, I also added a DIY coral snow. It's made from calcium carbonate and RO/DI water. It is a flocculant so I'm hoping it will help bind with the Panta Rhei Panta Lith product to help remove it from the water as it passes through my filtration.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also sent in a water sample for my 60 cube which had a level of 175ug/l on the last test. I added the Panta Rhei Panta Lith product today. I will do a few rounds of it and then send in another water sample to see if the levels have gone down. Since the Panta Rhei Panta Lith is suppose to bind to the metals and get removed via filtration, I also added a DIY coral snow. It's made from calcium carbonate and RO/DI water. It is a flocculant so I'm hoping it will help bind with the Panta Rhei Panta Lith product to help remove it from the water as it passes through my filtration.
Is your cube a Red Sea Reefer by any chance? And, how old is the tank?

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I believe it's a marine land. Not sure on the age, I bought it used.
I just got ICP results today. I will write up more details in my thread later, but briefly, I soaked the green pump return hose in RO/DI and the grey schedule 80 drain pipes in RO/DI and got these results:

-Green Tube: 1438
-Grey Pipes: 18.46

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got ICP results today. I will write up more details in my thread later, but briefly, I soaked the green pump return hose in RO/DI and the grey schedule 80 drain pipes in RO/DI and got these results:

Yikes!

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Jim, when you say 'green tube' are you referring to the vinyl tubing that comes with Eheim pumps? Something like this: https://www.marinedepot.com/eheim-hose-12-16mm-0-50in-0-65in-10ft
That looks like the green tubing I have but it probably isn't the exact same one. The one I referred to is the green tubing that is used on the Red Sea Reefer170 that I bought last January. That one is from Eheim, as you pointed out. No way to know if they are from the same, or similar, source. I just ordered Tygon tubing which is supposed to be very inert.
But if anybody is having a tin problem and has green tubing, it might be worth testing it. (I will be writing more about this soon and post it on the "tin thread" I started 4 months ago. I first have to work on a letter to send to Red Sea).

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my results back for the rodi and zero tin..

Now I’m looking into my mixing station and power head.
I’ve been running a kamor nano powerhead.

the ONLY other thing I can think of is the pvc glue??! We speak of it but does it ever go away?
If it’s the glue should I just do an 80% water change and be gone of it?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my icp results back showing tin yet again. I even tested my tab water and ro/di, both showing 0 for tin.

I’ve done nearly 100% water change and checked every piece of equipment before sending out the ICP.

Today, I decided to clean my refugium light and found some rust under the kessil gooseneck adapter!

898CFC8D-1702-4C68-A82E-F7A675C6C5EC.jpeg

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my icp results back showing tin yet again. I even tested my tab water and ro/di, both showing 0 for tin.

I’ve done nearly 100% water change and checked every piece of equipment before sending out the ICP.

Today, I decided to clean my refugium light and found some rust under the kessil gooseneck adapter!

898CFC8D-1702-4C68-A82E-F7A675C6C5EC.jpeg
You would think that these products would be made to not rust.

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a man battling this too, from what I’ve learnt is rust usually gives more elements then just Tin.

I have a question for you.
Have you added extra plumbing using pvc glue recently?

blackgate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a frag tank directly to my system using the red pvc from bulk reef supply and my tin was way up there. Aluminum was elevated as well. I did find some rust on some stainless steel hardware that was directly over my sump though. I also would have thought that rust would have given me more metals in the water than just tin and aluminum

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, this is interesting info @blackgate, I’ve got BRS red piping with elevated tin and aluminum......

You’re right, all the research I’ve done, rust would cause elevation in other parameters.

ioarnunz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the same spectral setup along with a booster pump. My setup has a low and high level switch to enable / disable the spectral setup.

Stevesreef225

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just sent in a triton test and found out that I have low levels of tin (3 ug/l). I haven’t gone through my equipment yet but the one thing that does stand out is my Hannah salinity tester. Any thoughts on this ?

Attachments

• 560410A8-B3ED-4703-A342-3F93034B0D80.jpeg
    560410A8-B3ED-4703-A342-3F93034B0D80.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 57

Dave1987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it isnt in the tank 24/7 I wouldnt worry about it. 3 ugl is also nothing special.

Doreno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

these values is "ugl" for Tin?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back