High Magnesium in FRITZ PRO salt?

youngreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont remember dosing magnesium for over 6 months but i also don't test very often because my levels seem to never change, its always above 1400according to my red sea test kit it has been bugging me for the past week, so i decided to test my freshly mixed salt FRITZ PRO salt and it came out to be 1600+ ppm. now im wondering i fanyone has seen this before. im also starting to think that maybe this test kit is faulty. has anyoner ever tested their Fritz salt?

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont remember dosing magnesium for over 6 months but i also don't test very often because my levels seem to never change, its always above 1400according to my red sea test kit it has been bugging me for the past week, so i decided to test my freshly mixed salt FRITZ PRO salt and it came out to be 1600+ ppm. now im wondering i fanyone has seen this before. im also starting to think that maybe this test kit is faulty. has anyoner ever tested their Fritz salt?
I use the RPM Blue and never had issues with high Mag. I dose mag just to stay around 1350.

OP
OP
youngreef

youngreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the RPM Blue and never had issues with high Mag. I dose mag just to stay around 1350

I use the RPM Blue and never had issues with high Mag. I dose mag just to stay around 1350.
mhhhh... thanks for the response. i did some research and found guys that have tested always find mag at about 1300-1400ppm. so i think my mag test is wrong.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, Fritz MG, has been 1350ppm box after box.
While I’m a Red Sea fan, I dumped all their test kits in the garbage in lieu of Hanna for Alk and Phosphorus, Salifert for everything else.

OP
OP
youngreef

youngreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, Fritz MG, has been 1350ppm box after box.
While I’m a Red Sea fan, I dumped all their test kits in the garbage in lieu of Hanna for Alk and Phosphorus, Salifert for everything else.
yea im gona grab which ever test kit my lfs has. i only started to pay attention to this because im dosing 25mls of part a and 100mls of part b (RED SEA foundation) but no part c at all. i feel like my sps stopped growing as fast as they used to.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....and whats the concern with elevated Mag?

I use to purposefully run my Mag around 1800 for yeeeears with great growth and color.

Technically Mag should be roughly 4x what your Calcium is. But I've never seen a problem going with 5x the ratio.

Curious why you are concerned....

OP
OP
youngreef

youngreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.....and whats the concern with elevated Mag?

I use to purposefully run my Mag around 1800 for yeeeears with great growth and color.

Technically Mag should be roughly 4x what your Calcium is. But I've never seen a problem going with 5x the ratio.

Curious why you are concerned....

hey pal! so im not concerned with mag being high. the concern is that my test is not testing correctly so the mag in my sps tank would actually be too low. As of right now im testing 1400ppm in my tank and the fresh salt is testing at 1600ppm. but according to people and fritz, their salt mix is pretty consistent from batch to batch at 1300 - 1400ppm. mag.
If that is true which i think it is. my test is actually testing 200ppm higher. and the actual mag level in my tank would be 1200ppm which is too low for my liking.
The parameters right now are.
CAL 420 ppm
ALK 8.4 dkh
MAG 1200 according to my calculations lol.
NO3 1-2 ppm
Po4 0.02 ppm

OP
OP
youngreef

youngreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update...!
today was a long succesfull day for reefing lol
so i went to my lfs and they tested my water with the aquaforest test and it was 1500ppm.
also i tested a friends water thats also full of sps and ran with a trident.
and it came out to 1380ppm wich was almost in line with his apex that reads 1400ppm.
So my red sea test wasnt wrong.... and i bought the salifert test and got the same results.
i guess thats what i get for tryina save a few bucks with cheap salt.
not that high mag is bad or that it did any damage to my system, but now i dont trust their salt.
So just a heads up test your new salt water batch, specially if like me, you have a small water volume and thousands of dollars in live stock, and a decent size water change can throw off the chemical balance we work so hard to achieve.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ran from fritz salt, my mag batch after batch was either way high or way low..could never be consistent..box after box

OP
OP
youngreef

youngreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ran from fritz salt, my mag batch after batch was either way high or way low..could never be consistent..box after box
also the alk in the first box i bough was almost 10 dkh. never tested anything else. next box it was 9 dkh...
anyway i bought my first bucket of tropic marine pro. and did a 50 percent w.c.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also the alk in the first box i bough was almost 10 dkh. never tested anything else. next box it was 9 dkh...
anyway i bought my first bucket of tropic marine pro. and did a 50 percent w.c.
Exact same thing I did,went to tmp and never looked back

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked my Live Aquaria salt which is the same thing as Fritz. I mixed it to 1.025 and the mag was slightly over 1600 as well. I used the Red Sea Pro Mag Test Kit and I put in just a little over 0.8 ml of titration. Once, I finish this box of salt, I am switching as well.

Straasha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check your salinity and make sure it’s calibrated.
I calibrated my Hanna HI98319 Salinity Checker immediately before I tested the mag to be sure everything was accurate. I also used the SR Aquaristik Speed Test magnetic stirrer with the Red Sea Pro test kit.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back