high magnesium

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, freshwater scrub here. I am new to this stuff and i'm struggling with my magnesium being high "1560" my calcium is 480 and alk is 202. Sorry about the weird numbers I haven't figured out how to convert them. Anyways I'm trying to figure out why my magnesium is so high. I don't dose anything. I use red sea coral pro salt. Any help is welcome.I'm sure i'm screwing this up somehow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone, freshwater scrub here. I am new to this stuff and i'm struggling with my magnesium being high "1560" my calcium is 480 and alk is 202. Sorry about the weird numbers I haven't figured out how to convert them. Anyways I'm trying to figure out why my magnesium is so high. I don't dose anything. I use red sea coral pro salt. Any help is welcome.I'm sure i'm screwing this up somehow.
First assure you’re not getting false readings. What test kits are you using?
Water changes will be the answer along with no mag added

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned your salinity is high with the numbers you report. Would double check that before anything. Otherwise i would not be especially worried about the high mg.

Also FYI here is handy chart i use for alk converion.

OP
OP
iamahab

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do you use rodi or tapwater? Tapwater could cause that also i believe.
I have a rodi system but I have a wand attachment on my sink I can't modify so the connection sucks and I'm not getting the pressure I need. I've been using purified water.

OP
OP
iamahab

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned your salinity is high with the numbers you report. Would double check that before anything. Otherwise i would not be especially worried about the high mg.

Also FYI here is handy chart i use for alk converion.

I use a hanna salinity tester and a handheld tester to confirm. Salinity is on point.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea Coral Pro salt will have a higher level of magnesium by default (1390). What's your salinity and are you dosing Red Sea Foundation? You're reading the Red Sea test right, yes? It's the amount of titrant used - not the amount left.

OP
OP
iamahab

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea Coral Pro salt will have a higher level of magnesium by default (1390). What's your salinity and are you dosing Red Sea Foundation? You're reading the Red Sea test right, yes? It's the amount of titrant used - not the amount leftAw
Ok I was reading what's left of the titrant. I shoot for a salinity of 35 but at the moment it's 35.6 with the hanna salinity tester (calibrated)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I was reading what's left of the titrant. I shoot for a salinity of 35 but at the moment it's 35.6 with the hanna salinity tester (calibrated)
That's fine if it's a little high - you can always mix a bit less saltwater with your next water change. So based on titrant used, what's your magnesium reading now on the chart? (don't feel bad, I screwed my magnesium tests up for the first few weeks reading it the wrong way too...)

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coral Pro also and dose 2.5ml of mg daily. For the last year it has always hovered around 1350. Just checked and my mg is at 1500. Hasn't seem to hurt anything but I guess 1500 is to high.

OP
OP
iamahab

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fine if it's a little high - you can always mix a bit less saltwater with your next water change. So based on titrant used, what's your magnesium reading now on the chart? (don't feel bad, I screwed my magnesium tests up for the first few weeks reading it the wrong way too...)
I'm about to take off for work so I can't really mess with it at the moment but i'll test when I get home and get back to you guys.Everyone has been super helpful on here, I regret not getting on here sooner.Thank you everyone

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really heard of mg levels in that range causing issues other than maybe precipitate so again i would not worry. Used to be quite common to intentionally get to those levels and considerably higher trying to defeat bryopsis.

OP
OP
iamahab

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention any issues i'm having with salinity are due to evaporation, I have a evo 13.5 with a jump guard cover.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You dont want high magnesium levels but levels reaching 1500 is not deadly or a high concern. Low mag is a whole different story especially with stony corals with tissue loss and even light bleaching.

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1560 is fine. I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt and my magnesium is always around 1500 @ 1.026 SG

Last edited:

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First assure you’re not getting false readings. What test kits are you using?
Water changes will be the answer along with no mag added
I would be more concerned about alk being too high. 220 ppm alk is almost 13 dKh according to the conversion chart I use. I would try to get it below 200 ppm ( 11 dKh)

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coral Pro also and dose 2.5ml of mg daily. For the last year it has always hovered around 1350. Just checked and my mg is at 1500. Hasn't seem to hurt anything but I guess 1500 is to high.
I think they have added more magnesium to their salt mix.

OP
OP
iamahab

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1560 is fine. I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt and my magnesium is always around 1500 @ 1.026 SG
I just retested and i used .60 titrant which if i'm right it puts me around 1200 on the chart.Will mag swing like that or was I doing it wrong the first time?

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just retested and i used .60 titrant which if i'm right it puts me around 1200 on the chart.Will mag swing like that or was I doing it wrong the first time?
Most likely error. Magnesium does not fluctuate that greatly in a short period of time unless you have altered the water chemistry.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back