High Mg

Tastee

View Badges
Reaction score
I have always had high Mg levels in my tank and would like some feedback from other Aquaforest users about their experience.

I have a 20 month old 65g tank (RSR 250) and use the Aquaforest Reef Salt and Component 1+2+3+ dosed daily via DOS units. I have used this salt from day 1. I change ~15% of water every 4 weeks, and just recently have changed this to 15% every 6 weeks.

I have been dosing since the tank was about 1 month old, initially very small amounts, increasing as the demands grew. The tank is a mixed reef with 6 small/medium fish, sand sifter starfish, hermit, coral banded shrimp, CUC of ~8 snails. Coral load is light-medium - 2 Acros, large Sinularia, Trachy, Cynarina, Goni, reasonable sized Zoanthid colony (mix of small and large), Favia, Hammer, Torch, Mushrooms.

My currently parameters, as tested today, are Kh 8.4, Ca 430 ppm and Mg 1560 ppm. Mg has always been high - the first times I tested in Oct 17 levels were ~1440 ppm. By Dec 17 Mg hit 1600 ppm and has pretty much stayed there ever since. My test kits are Red Sea Pro. A couple of months ago I bought refills so I took the opportunity to test Mg with both the old and new kits, and the results were identical, so my test kits appear accurate. I test weekly and the parameters have been stable at this for months now.

I am currently dosing 22 ml/day of Ca and Mg and 24 Ml/day of Alk. I stopped dosing Mg for a few months trying to bring it down but that didn’t affect it, so I have started dosing Mg in line with Ca as recommended. I am currently watching to see if Mg drops over time due to WCs.

What Mg levels do other AF users test at?

My tank is doing well and after struggling with GHA issues for 9 months has been in a really good state for 3 months now, so the high Mg doesn’t appear to be causing any issues.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am not a Pro ,, but when it comes to mag. levels in a tank ,, I really don't think its a big deal till you get to a number "way " higher than you are at. Back in the day when I had Bryopsis in the tank ,, the cure for that, at that time ,, now we have a pill for it :) was to dose a certain brand of Mag. ,,, high doses of it ,, I had mag levels in my tank at over 3000 ,, no ill effects to my corals at all.

Anirban

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
High Mg generally doesn't cause any big issue but dont let it go super high. If the tank is doing good then just continue what you are doing now.

pathot984

ANGELFISH FANATIC
View Badges
Reaction score
Your mg level is fine. It won’t hurt anything however to clarify you should be dosing equal parts with AF component 1+2+3 Balling method. My mg runs 1500, ca 460, Alk 9. I have RSR 625XL and dose 100ml of each equally.

Aquaforest

View Badges
Reaction score
I have always had high Mg levels in my tank and would like some feedback from other Aquaforest users about their experience.

I have a 20 month old 65g tank (RSR 250) and use the Aquaforest Reef Salt and Component 1+2+3+ dosed daily via DOS units. I have used this salt from day 1. I change ~15% of water every 4 weeks, and just recently have changed this to 15% every 6 weeks.

I have been dosing since the tank was about 1 month old, initially very small amounts, increasing as the demands grew. The tank is a mixed reef with 6 small/medium fish, sand sifter starfish, hermit, coral banded shrimp, CUC of ~8 snails. Coral load is light-medium - 2 Acros, large Sinularia, Trachy, Cynarina, Goni, reasonable sized Zoanthid colony (mix of small and large), Favia, Hammer, Torch, Mushrooms.

My currently parameters, as tested today, are Kh 8.4, Ca 430 ppm and Mg 1560 ppm. Mg has always been high - the first times I tested in Oct 17 levels were ~1440 ppm. By Dec 17 Mg hit 1600 ppm and has pretty much stayed there ever since. My test kits are Red Sea Pro. A couple of months ago I bought refills so I took the opportunity to test Mg with both the old and new kits, and the results were identical, so my test kits appear accurate. I test weekly and the parameters have been stable at this for months now.

I am currently dosing 22 ml/day of Ca and Mg and 24 Ml/day of Alk. I stopped dosing Mg for a few months trying to bring it down but that didn’t affect it, so I have started dosing Mg in line with Ca as recommended. I am currently watching to see if Mg drops over time due to WCs.

What Mg levels do other AF users test at?

My tank is doing well and after struggling with GHA issues for 9 months has been in a really good state for 3 months now, so the high Mg doesn’t appear to be causing any issues.
Hello,
Component 1+2+3+ should be dosed equally. Did you dose Component 3+ also?
Do you know your daily consumption of Calcium and KH?

OP
Tastee

Tastee

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,
Component 1+2+3+ should be dosed equally. Did you dose Component 3+ also?
Do you know your daily consumption of Calcium and KH?
Thanks for the reply.

I do dose all three components - 1+, 2+ and 3+. Initially I did dose all the same volumes but as my tank matured I found it was consuming a lot more Alk than it was Ca and Mg, so increased the Alk (2+) dosing. I started increasing the Component 2+ in Nov 18 as my Alk started to drop but Ca remained stable. My tank is more softies and LPS than SPS which may affect this.

More recently, as the tank came into a better balance I think, Ca consumption started to rise so I have been gradually increasing 1+ & 3+. I am now at the point where dosing of all 3 components is nearly the same - 22 ml/day for Component 1+ and 3+ and 24 ml/day for 2+.

I don’t test water daily, but do test weekly and have had stable Alk and Ca for about 4 months now at these dosing levels. I will probably change all 3 to match after I test again next Sunday as they are now very close anyway.

Aquaforest

View Badges
Reaction score
It's nothing to worry about.
But Component1+2+3+ should be dosing equally and if one parameter is dropping faster than other you can dose that product extra from Ca Plus, Mg Plus or KH Plus.

Have you ever been accused of talking to much about your tank?

• Yes (tell us about it)

Votes: 220 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 177 44.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
The Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle by VCA
Boom Corals