High nitrate but 0.00 phosphate? What to do?

scandinavian reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey i was measuring my nitrates and phosphates today and I got around
15-20PPM NA ( salifert test kit)
0.00 p04 ( Hanna checker hi713)

I’m dosing aquaforest nitraphos minus but now I’m thinking if I should stop doing it for a while or what to do really. They recommend dosing 1 ml if Na is lower than 2ppm and phosphate lower than 0.03 now my nitrates are higher than that but not the phosphates. I’m a little confused and want my phosphates a little higher but at the same time lower my nitrates of course.

does someone have any tips or tricks ?

the tank looks good under all circumstances and all corals seems very happy but I still want to aim for Na 5-10pm and a phosphate at 0.03-0.05

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks consume nitrate faster than phosphates but they take them up together. As such, if you want to increase your phosphates and decrease your nitrates...bump up your phosphate dosing. I will warn you however, if you dose JUST enough phosphates...you risk both values bottoming out and getting a dino outbreak. I actually dose BOTH nitrate and phosphate a couple of times a day to keep a constant minimal level of each in my tank.

I honeslty dont see a problem with your nitrates in that range. If your corals are happy..keep them happy.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I’m dosing aquaforest nitraphos minus but now I’m thinking if I should stop doing it for a while or what to do really. They recommend dosing 1 ml if Na is lower than 2ppm and phosphate lower than 0.03 now my nitrates are higher than that but not the phosphates. I’m a little confused and want my phosphates a little higher but at the same time lower my nitrates of course.

does someone have any tips or tricks ?

the tank looks good under all circumstances and all corals seems very happy but I still want to aim for Na 5-10pm and a phosphate at 0.03-0.05
I think the Hanna checker you have might not be ideal for this situation, if your trying to keep your Phosphate between 0.03-0.05 I believe you would be better off with a ULR Hanna checker as it has better accuracy at your stated ranges and your current test accuracy might not give you the information you need to make proper dosing decisions.

@Hanna Instruments is this correct?

Also I personally dont think its necessary (or beneficial for your sanity) to chase your nutrient numbers in that tight of a range, I try to keep my PO4 above 0.01 (it usually drops to 0 if I don't dose PO4) and my NO3 around 10 (it usually swings down to 5 when I don't dose).

And for the carbon dosing (nitraphos) I think its best to take it slow, ease on to carbon dosing and ease off carbon dosing, abruptly stopping may not be best for your tank (especially If your going heavy on the sauce). For the short term it would be better if you dose PO4 while you slowly stop nitraphos, if that’s what you plan on doing.

https://www.hannainst.com/hubfs/006...ates-in-your-reef-tank--hanna-instruments.pdf

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that the phosphate may not be 0.00. With the 713, it is best interpreted as 0.00 to 0.04 ppm. So it may be fine, or it may be low.

At this point, I'd try to raise it, either by feeding more, or dosing phosphate.

IMO, dosing is the better option.

OP
OP
S

scandinavian reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input guys! I’m happy I joined R2R everyone are so helpful.

it’s not that I’m super worried since my tank looks awesome and the corals looks very healthy ( got mainly LPS corals) just thought what it could lead to in the long run. Having said that just like randy says it could be 0.04 as well. I will keep dosing nitraphos since I only dose 1ml/day and feed the tank at the same time a little more than I’m doing now. That’s my plan.

to a different question that’s interesting to me. I have also been testing my DKH and it’s been around 10.2 for at least 6 days in a row now during the week i also introduced new corals, I’m wondering if introducing new corals can lead to a temporary stop in consumption of alk. I’m using the Hanna checker here as well. I have invested in a trident but haven’t had the time to install it yet but it will be interesting to see what it says.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all the input guys! I’m happy I joined R2R everyone are so helpful.

it’s not that I’m super worried since my tank looks awesome and the corals looks very healthy ( got mainly LPS corals) just thought what it could lead to in the long run. Having said that just like randy says it could be 0.04 as well. I will keep dosing nitraphos since I only dose 1ml/day and feed the tank at the same time a little more than I’m doing now. That’s my plan.

to a different question that’s interesting to me. I have also been testing my DKH and it’s been around 10.2 for at least 6 days in a row now during the week i also introduced new corals, I’m wondering if introducing new corals can lead to a temporary stop in consumption of alk. I’m using the Hanna checker here as well. I have invested in a trident but haven’t had the time to install it yet but it will be interesting to see what it says.
I think more information is necessary like
what was your dkh before
are you doing water changes with a high dkh salt mix
are you dosing anything

OP
OP
S

scandinavian reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think more information is necessary like
what was your dkh before
are you doing water changes with a high dkh salt mix
are you dosing anything
So I’m using tropic Marin pro reef salt I did a water change a week ago 10 liters don’t know what that is in gallons.
my first test showed 10.3dkh then 10.2 and 10.1 and the last test showed 10.2 again, this Is a period of 6-7 days after water change. I was planing to start to dose ATI essential pro but since my dkh been around 10 I haven’t start dosing anything. My plan is to be at a dkh of 9.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I’m using tropic Marin pro reef salt I did a water change a week ago 10 liters don’t know what that is in gallons.
my first test showed 10.3dkh then 10.2 and 10.1 and the last test showed 10.2 again, this Is a period of 6-7 days after water change. I was planing to start to dose ATI essential pro but since my dkh been around 10 I haven’t start dosing anything. My plan is to be at a dkh of 9.
Tropic marin states their pro-reef salt should mix to about 7-8 dkh.
Are you sure you have the pro-reef salt and not the classic (classic mixes to 9-10dkh)?

The hanna checker HI772 accuracy is "±0.3 dKH ±5% of reading" so i wouldn't worry about 10.2 vs 10.1

https://www.tropic-marin.com/meersalze-im-vergleich?lang=en

OP
OP
S

scandinavian reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic marin states their pro-reef salt should mix to about 7-8 dkh.
Are you sure you have the pro-reef salt and not the classic (classic mixes to 9-10dkh)?

The hanna checker HI772 accuracy is "±0.3 dKH ±5% of reading" so i wouldn't worry about 10.2 vs 10.1

https://www.tropic-marin.com/meersalze-im-vergleich?lang=en
I’m 100% certain it’s pro reef salt and not the classic since it says on the bucket. I know that they state those numbers got a little suprised after the water change and had 10.3.
I’m not worried about the numbers I’m just curious why it haven’t dropped in a week.
I’m wondering if introduction of new corals can temporarily make the consumption of alk stop.

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m 100% certain it’s pro reef salt and not the classic since it says on the bucket. I know that they state those numbers got a little suprised after the water change and had 10.3.
I’m not worried about the numbers I’m just curious why it haven’t dropped in a week.
I’m wondering if introduction of new corals can temporarily make the consumption of alk stop.
I cant see why adding corals would directly slow alk consumption.
I could see lack of nutrients slowing consumption but I think something else is going on like a bad checker. Have you checked the dkh with another test kit?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How old is the reef aquarium? Your PO4 and NO3 numbers can be just fine in a mature reef aquarium that is well fed and are in fact exactly what I have had in my system now for many months. I don't dose PO4 since I know that my corals are getting enough nutrition as they are healthy, colorful and growing. I do check NO3 every few weeks just to be sure that it's not getting too high for my liking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scandinavian reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant see why adding corals would directly slow alk consumption.
I could see lack of nutrients slowing consumption but I think something else is going on like a bad checker. Have you checked the dkh with another test kit?
Nope i have only tested with the Hanna checker. I could go and buy me a another test kit but at the same time I think I will just install the trident that I bought a couple of days ago. Haven’t had the time to install it yet.
How old is the reef aquarium? Your PO4 and NO3 numbers can be just fine in a mature reef aquarium that is well fed and are in fact exactly what I have had in my system now for many months. I don't dose PO4 since I know that my corals are getting enough nutrition as they are healthy, colorful and growing. I do check NO3 every few weeks just to be sure that it's not getting too high for my liking.
The reef tank is 2 years old soon to be 3.

Aprlie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need stop drip AF medicine bro.Now your water tank may be lost of balance because of it.

OP
OP
S

scandinavian reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need stop drip AF medicine bro.Now your water tank may be lost of balance because of it.
As fushi mentioned I don’t think abruptly stop dosing would be a good idea. I started to feed more to try to balance it out and at the same time I’m only dosing nitraphos every other day now and the dose is 1ml so I’m slowly easing of the nitraphos dosage.

OP
OP
S

scandinavian reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that the phosphate may not be 0.00. With the 713, it is best interpreted as 0.00 to 0.04 ppm. So it may be fine, or it may be low.

At this point, I'd try to raise it, either by feeding more, or dosing phosphate.

IMO, dosing is the better option.
Randy What do think about neophos? From brightwell? I’m feeding more now but I tried measuring again but once again it’s showing 0.00 but again it could be 0.04 with this Hanna checker.

I have mixed thoughts on what to do because the corals looks really nice puffy and fluffy
(LPS dominated tank) I can see though that I have some sort of small patches of what it looks like cyano. but it’s not overwhelming or overtaken the tank.

I’m thinking that if I start dosing phosphates (neophos) it could help to outcompete what I think is cyano?

or should i just continue to feed more and ease down the nitraphos from AF another thing though is that nitraphos claims to help prevent cyano outbreak so the patchers I see might not be cyano … hard to say.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy What do think about neophos? From brightwell? I’m feeding more now but I tried measuring again but once again it’s showing 0.00 but again it could be 0.04 with this Hanna checker.

It's likely fine, but I recommend a cheaper product of known purity when phosphate boosting is desired: food grade phosphate from amazon.

OP
OP
S

scandinavian reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update : so I managed to get my phosphates to 0.15 .According to my Hanna checker my results have been 0.15-0.16 ppm. This is without dosing any phosphates I just been feeding a little more and stoped carbon dosing. I must say even if those numbers are a little more than I want I’m happy. My lps corals looks great so I’m not worried here.

but I am worried about my nitrates…!

I bought the HR nitrate checker since I’m tired of guessing my nitrates with my eyes and a color chart, I tried it first time today and it showed 75ppm !!! I mean what !? Those numbers are to high for my comfort. I am a little chocked as well since I thought I had good filtration in my AIO waterbox. In the back chamber I have filtersock/ sponges and a tunze comline skimmer wich is skimming wet.

I would really appreciate if someone knows a good way to handle this situation.
I am thinking about to get a HOB algae scrubber or refugium maybe.. but I’m unsure if I have the space for it since I have placed the tank in a corner of the room (bad choice of tank placementand it’s not that common here in Sweden so if I want to get it I have to buy it from Amazon i think.
Or If I should get the maxspect nano tech anaerobic block and toss out my sponges. Maxspect claims it will reduce nitrates but again I’m not sure how effective the blocks will be especially when my nitrates are so high. @Maxspect will the blocks be of help in this situation?

I’m also going to start doing water changes every week but since I live in a apartment and don’t have the space for huge containers they will be small. In a month I will reach around 30% in total.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update : so I managed to get my phosphates to 0.15 .According to my Hanna checker my results have been 0.15-0.16 ppm. This is without dosing any phosphates I just been feeding a little more and stoped carbon dosing. I must say even if those numbers are a little more than I want I’m happy. My lps corals looks great so I’m not worried here.

but I am worried about my nitrates…!

I bought the HR nitrate checker since I’m tired of guessing my nitrates with my eyes and a color chart, I tried it first time today and it showed 75ppm !!! I mean what !? Those numbers are to high for my comfort. I am a little chocked as well since I thought I had good filtration in my AIO waterbox. In the back chamber I have filtersock/ sponges and a tunze comline skimmer wich is skimming wet.

I would really appreciate if someone knows a good way to handle this situation.
I am thinking about to get a HOB algae scrubber or refugium maybe.. but I’m unsure if I have the space for it since I have placed the tank in a corner of the room (bad choice of tank placementand it’s not that common here in Sweden so if I want to get it I have to buy it from Amazon i think.
Or If I should get the maxspect nano tech anaerobic block and toss out my sponges. Maxspect claims it will reduce nitrates but again I’m not sure how effective the blocks will be especially when my nitrates are so high. @Maxspect will the blocks be of help in this situation?

I’m also going to start doing water changes every week but since I live in a apartment and don’t have the space for huge containers they will be small. In a month I will reach around 30% in total.

Water changes, feed less, refugium, etc... flakes and pellets raise it the most, frozen is better. Make sure none is sitting on the sandbed and that your cleaner crew is getting it. Check out PNS probio too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back