High Nitrate

mknutsen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling off the scope high nitrates in a 500 gal predator tank. I have adjusted/lowered food levels, tried NOPOX, reactors, and using a large Paxbellum. I am still struggling/failing. Any suggestions?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you consider to be high nitrates? Do you have any pockets of uneaten food or waste in the tank/sump? I'm not sure what is your water storage/availability, but can you do a large water change? If so, do the nitrates stay down or do they quickly climb back up?

#reefsquad

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what the nitrate value is. How high?

Are your fish having any problems? Is the tank plagued with algae?

How much NoPox have you dosed daily? Is your skimmer working well?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox and other carbon sources are fairly effective at reducing nitrates, if it didn’t work for you must of been due to a low dose or not having enough phosphates in the system.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me high nitrate is anything over about 40ppm. I see a lot of guys struggling with high nitrates…50,60,80+. Corals will adapt, but I don’t see a reason to get much higher than 40ppm. Most will say…I’m only feeding 1 cube a day. 2 out of 3 are not being honest about what they really feed. The guy that’s telling the truth doesn’t realize that even though he’s currently feeding only one cube per day, the problem was started months prior. I also agree that Phosphate has to be up in ratio with NO3 for the NO3 to start coming down. Not saying it’s impossible to bring it down without elevating PO4, but it works so much easier. Calcium carbonate surfaces will not bind NO3 like they do PO4. However, all the uneaten food with will settle out all over the system (sand, rock, sump, overflow, pipes, etc.) and will typically leech for weeks or months. At this point it’s time to pull out the bacteria like Waste Away, add more bio media like Siporax, and beef up the CUC. It’s gonna be a slow process, but all is not lost! It can feel that way to some reefers. In some cases it’s best to remove the sandbed or vaccum it really well. Guy’s that are heavy feeder’s might benefit from Carbon Dosing, ATS, or a Denitrator.

In almost 95% of cases Nitrates get elevated by what WE put into the system. That includes fish, coral food, and of course fish food. Some reefers just cannot seem to put down the food. We have to decide if we want a reef tank or a fish tank. It’s a tough decision I know, but I think most would like to have a reef tank. Fish are going to beg 24/7, but that doesn’t always mean they need to be fed. That’s my .02 cents.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is a fish only tank (presuming that since you said predator tank) I wouldn't be too concerned.

As said above, if your skimmer is effective, carbon dosing should have some impact on NO3 levels. Have you ramped up the dose on the NoPox?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t catch your PO4 level. I’m curious.

Usually in cases of high nitrate and low PO4 it is very difficult to bring NO3 down unless you raise the PO4 first like mentioned above. Consider dosing PO4 and reducing the feeding. I know it’s fun to feed the predator's, but excessive nitrates will not be healthy for the fish or the system. Any videos of feeding these beast’s?!? What kind of predators are we talking here? :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back