HIgh nitrates after cycling new tank

Trailermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I started the 120 gallon tank with well cured and cycled live rock, the nitrogen cycle moved fast (thanks to two jumbo shrimp). I am into week three and the nitrates are above 30. Should I wait until the nitrates level off before performing a big water change? Can I start adding a few pre-quarantined fish now?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I started the 120 gallon tank with well cured and cycled live rock, the nitrogen cycle moved fast (thanks to two jumbo shrimp). I am into week three and the nitrates are above 30. Should I wait until the nitrates level off before performing a big water change? Can I start adding a few pre-quarantined fish now?
My tank is six years old with 30ppm of nitrates. FWIW.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It can happen. Add bacteria if needed to assure the active bacteria is able to break down waste quickly. Very common to be high when you have little to no aquatic life to produce waste

OP
OP
T

Trailermann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there Vetteguy, I have been adding Microbacter7, but I don't understand how it can help. I assume my nitrates are high (now over 50) because there was too much ammonia generated by my shrimp and because my live rocks were already loaded with bacteria. Question, how will more bacteria lower the nitrates? As I approach the day to turn on the lights, I will need the nutrients very low to minimize the dreaded "uglies", right?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back