High nitrates in new minimalist dry rock tank

Random

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have just about 100g of water volume in a tank that has been running with tropic marin syn-biotic salt and zero tds rodi since December.

A month ago I added 40 pounds of fiji pink live sand that i flushed out with hose water (112 tds at source) and drained out excess until just damp. Added sand.

Next day i added Dr. Tim's all in one as well as 2 clowns and 3 chromis.

I also started adding microbacter7 at 4 caps a day for my 100 gallon as recommended by brightwel.

I added a carbon reactor with rox.8 and a chaeto refugium as well as a couple marine pure bricks

One week later I added an NSA aquascape with a small footprint maybe about 35 pounds of rock total. This was made from old dry ocean rock which had a quick bleach bath in novemeber and a freshwater bath before entering the tank.

Added a cleaner shrimp and a hermit. Everyone seems fine. Still adding microbacter7 daily and also a bit of dr Tim's re-fresh every few days just for extra diversity.

Nitrates have been climbing in the last week. I'm not great with viewing the colors but seems between 5-10 ppm nitrates. Looking at about .25 phosphates and about .2 total ammonia. I only feed frozen foods currently a few times a day and was doing slightly heavy to get extra food for the inverts since the rock and sand is bare. I do have a theiling rollermat that I've had running since before food or fish were added.

So between the rollermat and the fuge... I dont see how I could have any nitrates with this little in the tank. A bit of phosphates and ammonia leaching from the rock I would expect, but the rising nitrates while having a fleece roller, refugium and carbon running seems alarming...
Maybe the dr Tim's all in one didnt work and I'm going through a cycle anyway? Even if I am I'd expect my filtration to keep it lower.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

nudave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you read about the nitrogen cycle. There's nothing "wrong" with your tank. The ammonia is being converted to nitrate, most likely by the Dr. Tims and microbacter - which it's supposed to do. There's no way to avoid a cycle, only to minimize the effects of one which is what those two products perform.

Do you have chaeto growing in the fuge? When's the last water change?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding 3 times a day isn't helping either. For my 8 fish I give less than half a mysis cube a day.

OP
OP
R

Random

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know what the nitrogen cycle is... thanks for that amazing advice... what I didnt know... was the dr Tim's was directly adding nitrates. I thought it was super condensed dormant bacteria strains to insta tank. Didnt think it would have some sort of slow releasing nitrates that would take a week to be able to test for as I've been at zero nitrates until 4 days ago.

Perhaps I'm feeding more food for sure, but I have plenty of nutrient export to handle that. Hopefully it will balance out in a week or so and drop back down. And I know 5-10 ppm isnt that high, but it is to me for this particular system.

My big concern was the thought that somehow something was in the rock that I added. Knowing that the Tim's all in one leaches nitrates gives peace of mind.

OP
OP
R

Random

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I haven't. My nitrite test is expired. I'll throw one in tomorrow's order

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have just about 100g of water volume in a tank that has been running with tropic marin syn-biotic salt and zero tds rodi since December.

A month ago I added 40 pounds of fiji pink live sand that i flushed out with hose water (112 tds at source) and drained out excess until just damp. Added sand.

I also started adding microbacter7 at 4 caps a day for my 100 gallon as recommended by brightwel.

I added a carbon reactor with rox.8 and a chaeto refugium as well as a couple marine pure bricks

One week later I added an NSA aquascape with a small footprint maybe about 35 pounds of rock total. This was made from old dry ocean rock which had a quick bleach bath in novemeber and a freshwater bath before entering the tank.

Added a cleaner shrimp and a hermit. Everyone seems fine. Still adding microbacter7 daily and also a bit of dr Tim's re-fresh every few days just for extra diversity.

Nitrates have been climbing in the last week. I'm not great with viewing the colors but seems between 5-10 ppm nitrates. Looking at about .25 phosphates and about .2 total ammonia. I only feed frozen foods currently a few times a day and was doing slightly heavy to get extra food for the inverts since the rock and sand is bare. I do have a theiling rollermat that I've had running since before food or fish were added.

So between the rollermat and the fuge... I dont see how I could have any nitrates with this little in the tank. A bit of phosphates and ammonia leaching from the rock I would expect, but the rising nitrates while having a fleece roller, refugium and carbon running seems alarming...
Maybe the dr Tim's all in one didnt work and I'm going through a cycle anyway? Even if I am I'd expect my filtration to keep it lower.

What is the nitrite level?

nudave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know what the nitrogen cycle is... thanks for that amazing advice... what I didnt know... was the dr Tim's was directly adding nitrates. I thought it was super condensed dormant bacteria strains to insta tank. Didnt think it would have some sort of slow releasing nitrates that would take a week to be able to test for as I've been at zero nitrates until 4 days ago.

Perhaps I'm feeding more food for sure, but I have plenty of nutrient export to handle that. Hopefully it will balance out in a week or so and drop back down. And I know 5-10 ppm isnt that high, but it is to me for this particular system.

My big concern was the thought that somehow something was in the rock that I added. Knowing that the Tim's all in one leaches nitrates gives peace of mind.
Sorry if I offended you. Just trying to help. Your question of "I'm going through a cycle anyway?" I took as you're trying to avoid cycling by using Dr Tim / Microbacter.

OP
OP
R

Random

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem man. It just reminded me of the classic tech support response of "well is tv plugged in?" Lol.
Ok I read other versions of the directions now that do seem to go many days further then the original directions I recieved plus some YouTube videos that didnt quite tell the whole story. My own fault for not piecing the 2 versions together. I was too busy going down the rabbit hole of what could have happened to my rock before I owned it that I was blinded from considering this product's speed is based on other variables.

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't feed so much, cut it in half minimum.

Back