High PH 8.6+ Out Of Ideas

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been experiencing high PH for about 4+ months and I can't figure out why. I wouldn't be concerned with 8.3-8.5 swing but I'm getting to 8.65 at the daily peak.

What I've tried:
I had cyano starting to pop up a few months back and it only got worse. Thinking the PH increases were due to cyano I decided to use chemiclean rather than wait it out this time. Fast forward 6+ weeks since treating, cyano is fully gone but PH only increases more.

Then I thought my probe was not accurate. So I have some Neptune calibration fluid on hand. I calibrated it, but PH was still high. Then I tested the probe in another set of calibration guild to see if it would read 7 and 10 which it did.

Then I thought maybe the calibration fluid I had was old, bought it a year ago. So I order new fluid from a different site. Calibrated and still same high readings.

Then I thought my tuzne algae reactor return was to close to the probe, so I move it into the return chamber of the sump. Still not change.

Then I thought AA may be causing it, so I stopped doing them. Nothing changed.

I'm only dosing 50ml of 2 part Alk and 40ml of cal per day into 125 total gallons of water.

I do not have any algae issues outside the small normal amounts on a pH or a spot on a rock or two.

The last idea I have is maybe my t5 bulbs which are about 10 months now are old? So I have new bulbs burned in and ready to go into the fixture this weekend. I just feel this is not the issue.

I run a skimmer 24/7, no scrubber. It's a SPS tank with good flow, tank is 3+ years old and I have never moved or changed the power of the PH. I just clean them each week. Surface of the tank water is moving. Overflow continues at it normal 680gph.

pH will hit 8.35 at night and 8.65 during the day. 3 weeks ago my peak was 8.61. I fear it is only increasing more and more which is has when I look back at historical Apex data. Prior to 4+ months ago my daily peak would be 8.3, low would be 8.0 at night for over 2 years.

What am I missing?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the crazy high numbers I have to suspect the probe itself now, or the uninsulated wire between the probe and the brain.

I had to run my wire separate from the others. In my case though it was reading noisy and low, so not a perfect comparable.

@Randy Holmes-Farley will tell you there is no way you could have pH levels that high without trying really hard. Just chemically infeasible.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the crazy high numbers I have to suspect the probe itself now, or the uninsulated wire between the probe and the brain.

I had to run my wire separate from the others. In my case though it was reading noisy and low, so not a perfect comparable.

@Randy Holmes-Farley will tell you there is no way you could have pH levels that high without trying really hard. Just chemically infeasible.
Keep in mind, I have not moved any probes, wire management since the tank started 3+ years ago. And if the probe was bad then why would it ready exactly 7 and 10 when it was placed in the calibration guild without calibrating it? I used the solution as a base, we know what the true pH is of that solution and it ended up the probe read exactly that.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind, I have not moved any probes, wire management since the tank started 3+ years ago. And if the probe was bad then why would it ready exactly 7 and 10 when it was placed in the calibration guild without calibrating it? I used the solution as a base, we know what the true pH is of that solution and it ended up the probe read exactly that.
Head scratcher for sure.

Grasping at straws here but the wire was not moved when putting it into solution packs?

My point being -- if I understand RHF's repeated previous statements correctly -- the odds are better to win Powerball than to get an accurate pH reading in that range without jumping through some major dosing hoops.

Just not recommending dumping in some acid to correct an errant parameter reading that is relatively improbable. @Randy Holmes-Farley I have been wrong before, so no offence taken on a correction.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Head scratcher for sure.

Grasping at straws here but the wire was not moved when putting it into solution packs?

My point being -- if I understand RHF's repeated previous statements correctly -- the odds are better to win Powerball than to get an accurate pH reading in that range without jumping through some major dosing hoops.

Just not recommending dumping in some acid to correct an errant parameter reading that is relatively improbable. @Randy Holmes-Farley I have been wrong before, so no offence taken on a correction.
The wires for all the probes are tied together as they were from day one. For an experiment I took the pH probe out and placed it by it's self in the sump today and separated the wires. 8.59 was today's high. I read through some posts of people who had interference with their probes. The difference is when they placed the probe in 10ph solution it would read in the hundreds. Mine will read the calibration solution reading.

Screenshot_20211125-183925.png

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wires for all the probes are tied together as they were from day one. For an experiment I took the pH probe out and placed it by it's self in the sump today and separated the wires. 8.59 was today's high. I read through some posts of people who had interference with their probes. The difference is when they placed the probe in 10ph solution it would read in the hundreds. Mine will read the calibration solution reading.

Screenshot_20211125-183925.png
Do have a chemical pH color test kit to compare it to?

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a salifurt kit, will be here next week but I'm not confident I'll find a normal reading.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to guess test kit says 8.38-.34 lol Had similar problems with these. They will read accurate in the calibration but not in the tank. Slightly off in other things with known ph. Compare with other probe, or solutions.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think that is a good idea. It is just not making any sense.
Ok done just placed an order got the BRS double junction. Prob. While I'm at it also replacing ORP and temp. Salinity they are out of stock with.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back