High PH good for Stony coral, what about LPS and Soft coral

Omarons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So BRS proved that high PH is important for SPS and stony coral health. But does the PH affect LPS and soft coral? Does it make the Lps coral or soft coral grow and propagate faster

Can anyone chime in

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower pH can make calcification slightly worse in any true coral (ones that leave skeleton behind). What BRS did not tell you is that the benefits might not outweigh the risks and cost to keep pH higher - but that is not their job and their job is to sell products. Other than just getting fresh air into your home on a mass scale, kalkwasser can crash tanks if overdosed, co2 scrubbers can be VERY expensive and so can other things. An Attic fan and a few hours running a week to completely change out the air in your home (like thousands of CFM and not cracking a window an inch for an hour) is by far the best thing that people can do for pH, but this can be hard in the winter although I live in Colorado and I can still find a day or two a week with the highs in the 50s or 60s for an air out.

If the low is above 7.8, I would not waste any money or take any risk on pH. I was able to grow acropora out of the tank from frags to wall-to-wall colonies still in three years, which is plenty fast.

Edited typo.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So BRS proved that high PH is important for SPS and stony coral health. But does the PH affect LPS and soft coral? Does it make the Lps coral or soft coral grow and propagate faster

Can anyone chime in

BRS proved it?

The scientific community has known it since before BRS existed. That's a huge aspect of why marine scientists are concerned about elevated CO2 levels lowering pH. Not because BRS ran an experiment. lol

Weird the way reefers are getting info these days and think BRS is discovering things. .

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can anyone chime in

LPS are hard corals. Even some soft corals calcify. it is likely calcifying organisms of all types (not just corals) that will have a harder time at lower pH. Excatly how challenging it is depends on many factors, such as the alk, the daily pH range, other stressors (like temp) and whether the organism has had a lengthy time to equilibrate tot he environment

But the smaller the amount of calcifying taking place by the organism, the smaller or less important will likely be pH issues.

Here's a paper discussing a polythoa:

The effect of climate change on the distribution of a tropical zoanthid (Palythoa caribaeorum) and its ecological implications​

"Regarding pH alone, a habitat with a pH over 7.85 is considered suitable,"

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, typo... lower pH less calcification. Sorry. Seems like some things are not worth knowing anymore unless BSR did a video on it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reverse light cycle fuge is sustainable without too much cost and is effective at keeping night time pH higher as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back