High Phosphate - unsure of what to do!

bmkid1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, ive been testing lately to get a better understanding of my reef tank and hope to make it thrive even better. I started this espically when I noticed my acans receding and sucking up into the skeleton. My first initial tests showed ~50 nitrates, and I recently got my hanna Nitrate & Phosphate checker (all tests have been done with Hanna). Upon dosing Red Sea NOPOX, ive gotten my nitrates down to 12, but testing my phosphate showed 0.18. Based on the reading ive done, this is high, fine, and doesnt matter! Ive taken steps of less feeding and more filter cleaning to control nitrates. Frankly im unsure if anything needs to be done to lower phosphates or just ride it out, as I would like to keep my coral healthy and see if my acans can make a come back!
Tank Parameters: 75 gallon
DKH- 8.8
Nitrate - 12
Phosphates - .18
Salinity 1.025
Temp ~ 78 F

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates of 1 or 2 are high; 0.18 (while not ideal) is elevated. You can try something like TLF PhosBan, but make sure you read the instructions closely and way undercut the suggested amount (you also dilute it first) and do it over a few days - monitoring and testing as you do.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back