High phosphate, water changes and gfo aren’t working

caller89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, was wondering if anyone could share any tips on how they remove phosphates from their evo’s? I’m currently sitting at 0.21ppm! I’m running a table spoon of rowaphos in chamber 1 and doing 10% weekly water changes with ro/di water from my lfs which tested 0.02ppm for phosphate. unfortunately carbon dosing isn’t a option as I’m not running a skimmer on my evo. However salifert test kit shown 0.1ppm and recently bought a hanna checker which came back as 0.21 so there might be a testing issue

Thanks!
Do you feed frozen food ? Mysis shrimp? If so you need to defrost and strain with RODI water , frozen mysis shrimp cubs are packed with photophates

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed frozen food ? Mysis shrimp? If so you need to defrost and strain with RODI water , frozen mysis shrimp cubs are packed with photophates
This is a myth. The amount of phosphates added by adding the liquid to the tank is negligible unless you're massively overfeeding. If you rinse it away, you're throwing out great food for your corals and filter feeders.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a myth. The amount of phosphates added by adding the liquid to the tank is negligible unless you're massively overfeeding. If you rinse it away, you're throwing out great food for your corals and filter feeders.
This. I never have rinsed any food, and I don't get why folks do...

caller89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some test on this myth , over the past few weeks using hanna marine master , I found that with mysis shrimp unwashed my Phosphates would shoot up however my Nitrates would remain unchanged around 2ppm , but Phosphates as high as 0.1 - 0.15.

When I have been rising then Phosphates have been stable around 0.05.

I agree with your stament on throwing food away for coral , i combat this by adding reef snow and reef roids with my washed frown foods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some test on this myth , over the past few weeks using hanna marine master , I found that with mysis shrimp unwashed my Phosphates would shoot up however my Nitrates would remain unchanged around 2ppm , but Phosphates as high as 0.1 - 0.15.

When I have been rising then Phosphates have been stable around 0.05.

I agree with your stament on throwing food away for coral , i combat this by adding reef snow and reef roids with my washed frown foods
Well sure, if I tested right after feeding, my nutrients would be high too...
And reef roids HAVE been proven to increase phosphates!
Lol!

caller89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sure, if I tested right after feeding, my nutrients would be high too...
And reef roids HAVE been proven to increase phosphates!
Lol!
Sorry to clarify the test are 24hours after feeding therefore before the next feed the next day.

Reef roids and reef snow where not added during this testing.

This is just my experience, although I don't chase numbers I test everyday and keep a record for a day when something isn't right then I can always refer back to my chemistry.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all, was wondering if anyone could share any tips on how they remove phosphates from their evo’s? I’m currently sitting at 0.21ppm! I’m running a table spoon of rowaphos in chamber 1 and doing 10% weekly water changes with ro/di water from my lfs which tested 0.02ppm for phosphate. unfortunately carbon dosing isn’t a option as I’m not running a skimmer on my evo. However salifert test kit shown 0.1ppm and recently bought a hanna checker which came back as 0.21 so there might be a testing issue

Thanks!
Increase water changes at 15-20% increments and reduce amount of food fed
Assure your water isnt high in phosphate my testing the water alone
Test the new seawater after you have mixed to assure your salt mix is not the phos culprit.
Add a pouch of chemipure Elite to slowly reduce levels while keeping it in check
Addition of protein skimmer or Algae scrubber will help greatly
Reduce detritus in the sump if you have an abundance - Often the silent culprit

Do Not test for po4 right after feeding or water change as you may get those higher readings

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to clarify the test are 24hours after feeding therefore before the next feed the next day.

Reef roids and reef snow where not added during this testing.

This is just my experience, although I don't chase numbers I test everyday and keep a record for a day when something isn't right then I can always refer back to my chemistry.
Randy did some sort of calculation on this donkeys years ago, from what I remember the increase was minuscule. I’ve never bothered rinsing.
Once again, phosphate @ .1 to .2 is not too high.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back