High Phosphates, zero Nitrates (FOwLR) - Should I dose nitrogen to stimulate Chaeto growth to lower phosphates?

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gal FOWLR tank (for the moment) with Cheato in the refugium of a 20gal sump. I have high phosphates (API reads .5 ppm) but 0 nitrates.

I've read that Chaeto is NO3 limited. Should I dose nitrogen so the Chaeto will grow faster and eat more phosphates?

Or should I just continue to use PhosGuard to lower Phosphates and go from there?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why do you want to lower phosphates? They aren't directly harmful to livestock in pretty much any amount you can reasonably hit. There are reef tanks with 1ppm+ phosphates, never mind FOWLR tanks.

You definitely need the nitrates up, though, to avoid the aforementioned issue with dinos.

OP
OP
chadfish

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a rough go with cyano and other algae due to high phosphate. Don’t want a repeat.

I cut back the chaeto by 1/2 and started dosing nitrogen. After the new year, I’ll add more stock, that will help keep the NO3 at a healthy level.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High phosphates / zero nitrates is a bomb waiting to go off.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back