!!!HIGH SALINITY, AM I A ONE MAN GANG? OR ANYONE ELSE IN??

Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by Battlecorals, May 31, 2018.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle Member

I'm surprised this is working for you. I lost 4or 5 nice colonies over a few months when my SG crept down to 1.023 because of a bad refractometer that was reading +.005. In my experience refractometers tend to creep up when not calibrated so I aim high at 1.028 to avoid going to low.

2. Velcro

Velcro Valuable Member

Probably an issue of stability more so than the actual salinity.

3. marco fish

marco fish Active Member Partner Member 2019

I also run 1.028
    I commercial fish Yellowtail Snapper in Key West. I’ll bring home water from the Atlantic Ocean for water changes, and almost every time that I check salinity it reads 1.028. I’ll bring some water tomorrow to see what it reads. Very interesting thread, thank you Adam for sharing

4. Lousybreed

Lousybreed Active Member

I accidentally was running my tank at 1.027 because of the calibration fluid had become more salty....assuming evaporation of water via diffusion thru the plastic bottle. And my observations were opposite! I had coral die-off on the undersides of my Acros. It went away once I fixed my issue.

Plus the extra cost of water changes is another negative. But if it works for you.....keep doing it! I put some Holy water into my system every so often...works great! Your mileage may vary :)

Draft saved Draft deleted